Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

windows 98, windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

i need to dual boot windows xp and 98.
i have installed them both on the same hdd on fat 32 partitions.
it will only boot to windows xp at the moment. how to i get to windows 98

Have you installed 98 first and then XP?
Check boot.ini it should look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

i think why just editing the boot.ini in xp wont work is because there is'nt a MBR on D:\ it there a way of creating a MBR on 2 partitions. i don't think there because the mbr is on the first part of the drive.

am i wrong? :?

I far as I remember, you need to install Win98 first, then add XP after.

During the XP install, you must choose the advanced installation option for XP and select the other partition.

Once installed, when booting up you will get a DOS like prompt asking what to boot. If you make no choice, XP goes ahead on it's own.

Here is a link to altering the boot.ini file.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000492.htm

I have done it several times: While installing 98 first, specify its partition, leaving space for the other partition (for XP), and make it the active one. Then install XP, choosing the second partition, and it should run ok: asking you what partition to load...

And it will SIGNIFICANTLY slow down ur system...
Solution: have two separate physical HDD's, one OS on each, and from the BIOS, u choose which one to run. That way, u don't have a speed trade-off...

yes i have noticed a small reduction in speed, but i have a very fast computer (not the crap things you buy in shops) so it does't matter. i little slow down is the price i pay for MS-DOS the best in my opinion microsoft has come up with. it can run all my old games while having a "stable" operating system at the same time.

PS: after i installed all the drivers it was as fast as it usally is.

danielsmusic said:
yes i have noticed a small reduction in speed, but i have a very fast computer (not the crap things you buy in shops) so it does't matter. i little slow down is the price i pay for MS-DOS the best in my opinion microsoft has come up with. it can run all my old games while having a "stable" operating system at the same time.

PS: after i installed all the drivers it was as fast as it usally is.
How much fast :wink: :?: :?:

i don't like to brag about it and many people here mite have the same as me.
i have the new k8 board from amd and a 64-bit 3.2GHz processor.
700 and somthing Mb of ram 256 bit cache

if there is no option to install second hdd (maybe you have a laptop and using second hdd would require removal of the cd drive etc.) and you already have XP installed, you can create small partition just for win98 using partition magic. i don't like two OS on same partition anyway. in fact i don't want them to know about each other...

panic mode said:
i don't like two OS on same partition anyway
i would never install 2 os's on the same partition anyway!

i have all ready fixed this problem.

I am pretty sure you can, you just need a partition manager, WinXP has one, and Linux has several, like Grub. This will run at boot, and allow you to select what operating system ( or Linux build for that matter ) you wish to run. One of my PC's does this every time I boot it up. I get asked if I want to run either of 2 Linux builds, DOS, or Windows XP ( it calls this DOS also ) This all resides in the MBR, which tells the machine which boot sector to load, hence which OS to run. Grub takes over this process for example.

i Joel Rainville is right, when i installed 98 i did'nt let me choose where i install it.

danielsmusic:

I think you missed the point about requiring a "partition manager." You have to have a program that intercepts the information from the MBR and gives you the option of multiple boot points. Win XP has this built in, you used it when you set up your dual boot Win98 and WinXP.

There many many programs you can use to do this. System Commander, Grub, LILO, etc

Have a look at the following link , check out the specs:

http://www.osloader.com/

This is what I am talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back