Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ian, I realize I'm a little late jumping in here, but I thought I'd mention that I recently had a similar issue. After a major error installing a new OS on my laptop, I had to reinstall, and ever since I've had nonstop updates. Just the other day I had 114 in one sitting. Must come with the OS...

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

Hey Ian, I realize I'm a little late jumping in here, but I thought I'd mention that I recently had a similar issue. After a major error installing a new OS on my laptop, I had to reinstall, and ever since I've had nonstop updates. Just the other day I had 114 in one sitting. Must come with the OS...

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x86.

Unbelievable isn't it...

However.... Now I'm quite taken with 7... I installed a x64 version on the sons laptop ( same as mine ) and things went rather smoothly.

Now I'm a MOD and reading this thread through... I don't think my first post, with the blatant swear word, should be allowed.:D:D:D:D

Unbelievable isn't it...

However.... Now I'm quite taken with 7... I installed a x64 version on the sons laptop ( same as mine ) and things went rather smoothly.

Now I'm a MOD and reading this thread through... I don't think my first post, with the blatant swear word, should be allowed.:D:D:D:D

Hahaha :D Guess things change a bit, huh? :p

I plan on upgrading my laptop soon, so I don't think it'd be worth upgrading to x64 yet. When I get my new laptop I think I'll install 7 ultimate x64, and perhaps (if the HD is big enough) windows 8 in a partition. For the time being, I'm just going to have to put up with these constant updates :rolleyes:

Cheers Ian

Well yesterday my missus finally got around to buying a new laptop ACER Aspire E1-531 for $333, not a bad price for a new laptop eh....

It came with winsucks7, no restore disk and one of the first thing that came up was 'do you want to backup your install' so we clicked 'YES' next thing it said you'll need 6 DVD's as the backup is 23 gig..... Go figure now why can't they just supply a disk with a new machine as time goes by the OS WILL need a Dban(format) to get it working again.

Anyway all of my wifes files were on that 64 bit puter I made running winblows7 so I said I'll just transfer them over using wifi. Now as passwords WEREN'T set at anytime it should of been easy but NO. On my 64 bit box I needed a non existent password. Meanwhile I wandered over to my missus's laptop where she said don't bother I got all the files already. Now what is interesting is both this old XP box and my 64 bit puter can see each other on the network none can connect BUT the new laptop can see both of them and has full access.

Today I'll be moving my 64 bit puter and the ol' xp box is going into retirement, the 64 bit is getting a Dban and fresh install as after 12 months or so it is bogged down with crap so it does need it.

Cheers Bryan

Last edited:
G'day Ian,
Well after a big cleanup this morning I moved the 64 bit desktop in the place of my old xp puter, now everytime it botted it kept coming up with a couple of popups saying can't open this dll (which was in my wifes nic). I deleted her profile along with all of her files then did a reboot and the same thing popped up. Noway could I find the dll's or any program on startup that would use them. So out came the G-parted disk and complete format was done....

Re-installed winsucks7 and had the ethernet cable in as the router is less than a foot away only to find EVEN after installing all the mobo drivers including Ethernet still couldn't access the net. So just typed in the WEP key and used wifi, now last night where my missus could easily access this puter before the format to transfer files when I set this one up for sharing it gave me a password and with no otherway around it we'll have to use it. Also once the OS was installed I did expect it to want an activation but at no time has it asked. I do suppose as I have already done it once then thats all that was needed so if my missus laptop does go south on the OS (and it will) I can use this legit copy I got for the rescue. I'll just need to download all the drivers off the ACER website first.

Now I did have a play with winsucks 8 on a couple of laptops while we were shopping and I gotta say if that OS aint an updated version of 'ME' for the 21st century I do feel it will be a bigger flop as time goes by.

Anyway this arvo's job is disk after disk of backup disks and organising over 10 years of data in a neat package of folders so when one needs a datasheet it will be easy to find etc.

Cheers Bryan

I have been using windows7 from a quite long time, and yet to discover such a problem and OMG 111 updates on one go I have never seen or heard this either before now. You can either way use VM Machine to discover which browser works best for you as cr0sh suggested so, and find out which one suits you the best.:) I am pretty much satisfied with using win7 and didn't have any plans to switch over to any new OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back