Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows 7 help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaq

Hey guys I have an Emachines computer and I'm running a 64bit version of windows 7. I have recently got a horrible virus that I have literally tried everything possible to get rid of other than reinstalling windows. My only problem is that the computer when I purchased it didn't come with a windows cd. It came with the installation on the computer. I was wondering if there are any hidden partitions or any way of repairing my computer. What seems to be the problem is I think that the installer on the computer isn't completely repairing the registry. I just need some way of getting a new installation of windows on my pc. Oh and the serial for windows was on the bottom of my computer so it's rubbed off in time, does the computer save this somewhere on the hard drive?

During boot is there an option to hit the F11 key to do a system restore?

New systems generally offer a few means of system restore. From a partition on the HDD or using disk provided. Many systems offer a means to creat restore disk. Since you have no disk and the key code is gone do you get the F11 option I mentioned during boot? It will be small print and go past quick so look hard for an F11 option.

Ron

Yeah I think I have already tried that though I think ts missing a sector though when I do the restore because it says completed and everything but then goes back and boots but it freezes on windows logo screen where it says windows is loading and then never moves. I can't boot through safe mode it just won't boot at all. I have tried to put my previous system image disc in and it runs them but freezes on the windows screen again

If you tried the options under F11 as they are covered here including Full System Restore (Destructive) - Formats the hard drive and restores Windows 7 and all of the default system software/drivers. All data on the hard drive will be lost. You are about out of options. I don't know why Windows will not load correctly and boot. I have had a few systems that took hours but finally loaded on boot. Your next option is to get a set of Windows 7 restore disk from E Machines. While not familiar with E Machines for Compaq, HP, Dell and others they are about $20 USD I believe. A Google of E Machines Restore Disk download will bring up some Torrent Sites and you are strictly on your own on that note. Personally I would buy the restore disk from E Machines then you will have them in the future. Also when installing off an OEM E Machines restore disk you likely will not need the key code you no longer have.

Ron

I know the virus, it hit mine as well. System restore does not fix it and it sails right by about 99% of the 'anti virus" software. You have to come up in the "safe mode" and go directly into the registry and fix the entries. The internet had a lot of info and I was able to finally get it off my computer. Then it took days to fix all the damage it did.

Ain't PCs wonderful......

Hey guys I have an Emachines computer and I'm running a 64bit version of windows 7. I have recently got a horrible virus that I have literally tried everything possible to get rid of other than reinstalling windows. My only problem is that the computer when I purchased it didn't come with a windows cd. It came with the installation on the computer. I was wondering if there are any hidden partitions or any way of repairing my computer. What seems to be the problem is I think that the installer on the computer isn't completely repairing the registry. I just need some way of getting a new installation of windows on my pc. Oh and the serial for windows was on the bottom of my computer so it's rubbed off in time, does the computer save this somewhere on the hard drive?

Is it the virus that turns the desktop background dark/or flashing and then tries to sell you the "fix" where you have to enter a credit card number?

As to the virus thing and the fake virus warning malware I always used and liked ComboFix as a solution. It has been a few years since I was a little more into it than I am today. :(

When you have a system that won't boot in any mode (normal or safe) things become a worse nightmare. After screwing with the system for awhile I would generally just yank the HDD, connect it to another system and save things worth saving to another system. Then place the HDD back in the machine it came from, reformat and do a fresh clean install of the OS. The problem is when there is no OS disk or set of restore disk.

Ron

Yep that's my problem I have restored my computer numerous times and it still won't boot I know nothings wrong with the hard drive cause I put it in a diff computer and it worked so idk what to do now

Your options are simple. Contact E Machines and get a set of OS & Driver disk, Go out and buy an OEM version of Windows 7 and install it, or finally look at a torrent which I would not really consider as I mentioned earlier. When you have a system that won't boot in regular or safe mode it gets difficult to repair an install.

Ron

Before you try that, download Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft. It's free. I think you can download it under safe mode with internet connectivity.

Then boot into safe mode with no internet and install and run. Run the full scan. It will take overnight.

Next, download and purchase a copy of Malwarebytes and run that. Really cheap.

It's essential that you run it in safe mode and without internet connectivity the FIRST time.

HI KISS

My take was that the OP can't boot into Safe or Normal mode? The system makes like it goes through an entire restore (using F11) and then hangs indefinitely when the OP tries to boot in safe or normal mode.

Ron

You should be able to create a start-up log file, then view it to see what is failing to load, if it is indeed a software issue, and go from there. I have had several E-Machines in for repair for this kind of problem. Sometimes bios settings can cause it, sometimes an added card in the wrong slot causes PnP to get tied in a knot. Other times bad bios chip/ flaky bios firmware. On an odd occasion, a dodgy power supply can also cause it.

To rule out any obvious hardware/ bios problems, get a copy of a linux live bootable CD and boot off the DVDROM drive. If the machine boots and plays nice, then at least you will know for sure what you're dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back