Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wind Generator Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your HS robotics battery is capable of providing high current for only a short time. Remember, the actual competition was 2 minutes, 10 seconds.

Krumlink said:
AAA NICADS may be too small for this scale. I am talking a few amps per hour, more than any NICAD for that matter could/would supply without overheating.

I like the Lead acid idea, and so does my Family.

I really need a generator now!

There are special NICAD batteries that can supply tons of current, used in R/C models for high performance motors.

Just a standard NICAD 'D 'cell is rated at 4 amp/hrs I seem to recall.

Lefty

Krumlink said:
AAA NICADS may be too small for this scale. I am talking a few amps per hour, more than any NICAD for that matter could/would supply without overheating.

I like the Lead acid idea, and so does my Family.

I really need a generator now!
You want more than a few Ah which is what a typical AA NiMH cell can provide. You need a couple of hundered Ah at the very least.

Besides, the most amount of watts I would be using at any one time would probably be a max of about 200Watts.

I need a way to generate the voltage now

Krumlink said:
Besides, the most amount of watts I would be using at any one time would probably be a max of about 200Watts.

I need a way to generate the voltage now

As you suggested in the first place, a car alternator is an easy place to start.

How much would you think it would cost for a cheap one? I will have to check it out.

Nothing, go to a scrap yard.

Also note that car alternators aren't very efficient.

A better solution than a car alternator would be to use a larger DC permanent magnet motor as a generator. If you want to use stuff from old cars, a radiator cooling fan motor may provide enough current as a generator. Years ago I made a windmill out of an old computer tape drive motor (Think large 1970s computer). I think the motor was designed to run from 24-48V so it put out 12V @ 10amps quite nicely at low RPMs.

Hmmmmmm

What about a massive capacitor bank :)

Lead Acid Batteries?

Good point! WIMA has developed a capacitor not too big around with a capacity of 400F!
A 500F type is under development. One disadvantage they have: Charge is limited to 2.5V

The massive capacitor bank could be the garage filled with capacitors from bottom to top. :)

mynameisdan said:
For limiting the speed of the blades you can use a magnet brake.

better feather the prop!

Please review the picture.

Attachments

• hbyl[.jpg
    hbyl[.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 467
My local laws prohibit me from erecting a wind turbine, so I can't :D

Krumlink said:
Well my dad and I were talking about creating a wind power generator for the house.
Krumlink said:
My local laws prohibit me from erecting a wind turbine.

So what are you going to do, put a ceiling fan on a 3' concrete pole???:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back