Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wifi range limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes yagi's are good.
I long time ago we would use two yagi's cabled together as passive repeters between towers.

Had rather remarkable success with a discarded satelitte dish, mount and horn (approx 2' orange peel type). The satellite TV companies never take back the old antennas they upgrade/replace, at least not around here. They just dump'em at the road side.

I gutted the horn of its electronics and inserted a Belkin WiFi dongle, aligning the "head" of the dongle in the same area as the original horn input end had been located. Covered the horn with a sandwich baggie.

Aligned the dish with my Bro-lin-law's router (which is in front of a window about 100m from my house, clear line of sight), using the sig strength indicated in Windows, and it worked like a charm (5 bars).

Last edited:
Had rather remarkable success with a discarded satelitte dish, mount and horn (approx 2' orange peel type). The satellite TV companies never take back the old antennas they upgrade/replace, at least not around here. They just dump'em at the road side.

I gutted the horn of its electronics and inserted a Belkin WiFi dongle, aligning the "head" of the dongle in the same area as the original horn input end had been located. Covered the horn with a sandwich baggie.

Aligned the dish with my Bro-lin-law's router (which is in front of a window about 100m from my house, clear line of sight), using the sig strength indicated in Windows, and it worked like a charm (5 bars).

I have read the old dish's can do even better than 100 meters.

I have read the old dish's can do even better than 100 meters.

Line of sight between two properly set up and aimed dishes can be several miles. :D

actually the word "cantenna" has been around since the late 1950's at least, and with two different meanings. if you looked on wikipedia, you probably saw that it was once a trade name for a heathkit dummy load for ham radio transmitters. but the word was also used by ham radio experimenters for homemade feed horns for 1296 and 2400Mhz operation that were made from various size soup cans. here's a hint... if you want to make really good antennas for wifi, go and look up ham radio antennas for the 13cm band. there's a collection of old ham radio magazines online here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection:73-magazine&sort=-publicdate

i'm sure you can find at least a few projects in there that will match your budget and skills (i.e., most antenna projects you will find are made from regular household items, and there are antenna construction articles for everybody from noobs to experts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back