Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why we cannot transmit powerful electricity using wireless technology for home use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

All over the world, wire is a only one transmission line for high power electricity for houses and factories. Why we cannot use wireless technology to transmit such powerful electricity instead of wire? Give me a simple concept please.

Last edited:
They ARE testing with laser power distribution.... A powerful laser high on a mountain is focused onto a receiver elsewhere.... ( it was developed for that "Skylift" that was in the news a while since )

Apparently its too inefficient..

Last edited:
All over the world, wire is a only one transmission line for high power electricity for houses and factories. Why we cannot use wireless technology to transmit such powerful electricity instead of wire? Give me a simple concept please.

The transfer of electrical energy is wireless (think about all the transformers from the generator to your home) as the wires atomic structure of free electrons creates a narrow section of space the funnels (a path with a much lower impedance than far field free space) the electrical energy near it instead of it radiating into space in directions other than the desired one to the load. To do the same thing without wiring you need to somehow have the same effect but caused by some property of the EM fields in free space only.

This is the (not so simple) concept.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...TccwMYdpk0qp70Pqg&sig2=Exlnokvzy-DKcVumYW6zwg
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/09/superluminal.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/09/currentmatters.pdf

That is exactly what Nikola Tesla was working on a hundred years ago. His lab in Long Island, New York (which he called "Wardenclyffe") had a tower built out behind it which, Tesla hoped, could be used to transmit radio signals and free, wireless electricity for everyone. However, when his sponsors found out it would be free, and that they wouldn't get any profit from it, they cut the funding and the place fell into disrepair. The idea of wireless electricity has been around for well over a century, but no practical means has yet been discovered. As said before, it's just too inefficient.

The problem with Telsa's and any method that uses non-directed EM transmission is the inverse-square power law in free space and the losses in conversion from the transmission energy to usable forms on energy even with directed transmission. With known physics it's going to be hard to beat the efficiency of an inert hunk of metal that can move DC to GHZ electrical energy anytime soon.

Last edited:
In my opinion, wireless electricity is a joke. Whenever I hear about this, I'm imagining a very inefficient system. Laser power distribution is a joke inside joke. We need to have good conductors for carrying electricity(supposed to use gold) and how can we think about air in place for being the worst conductor? Did anybody imagine about accidentally interfering the pathway of the wireless electricity? If there is a wireless electricity(non directional) available ever then there always will be a risk of receiving it accidentally by anyone which is not good for health :D

Air (or vacuum) is a perfectly good medium for the movement of electrical energy (it's just not cheap or very safe). The problem is the structures needed for beaming utility frequency far field (pure electromagnetic fields not induction) power like a laser or microwave are planet sized.

https://www.friendsofcrc.ca/Projects/SHARP/sharp.html

In my opinion, wireless electricity is a joke. Whenever I hear about this, I'm imagining a very inefficient system. Laser power distribution is a joke inside joke. We need to have good conductors for carrying electricity(supposed to use gold) and how can we think about air in place for being the worst conductor? Did anybody imagine about accidentally interfering the pathway of the wireless electricity? If there is a wireless electricity(non directional) available ever then there always will be a risk of receiving it accidentally by anyone which is not good for health :D

Gold is the third best conductor after silver and copper.

Mike.

We have a wireless electricity transmission device - the sun. We use solar panels to convert it back to heat or electricity ;)

We have a wireless electricity transmission device - the sun. We use solar panels to convert it back to heat or electricity
True.
But, compare the energy "transmitted" from 1 square metre of the sun surface to the energy received in 1 square metre of the earths surface and you will see that it is not very efficient.

JimB

It's a good example though of why we don't use wireless energy transmission .....
Exactly!
We are in full agreement.

JimB

We have a wireless electricity transmission device - the sun. We use solar panels to convert it back to heat or electricity ;)

Very nice example!
But I should have to forget this ''wireless technology'' at night and I should be back to '''wireness technology'' ;( to use this reserved power.

Last edited:
Most people will not build a house under high voltage power lines, because of the bad effects on humans and plants. The power level in the house will not power a flash-light.

Other people want to send enough power, through the air, to power a stove. I certainly don't want to live in those fields.

Near field power transfer is starting to take hold in the mobile device market, although it's not exactly what most people would consider wireless power transfer it does eliminate the need for phyiscal connectors, but it still essentially requires physical contact (device is placed on specific spot on a pad).

MIT did some experiments that used near field power transfer for lighting a lightbulb at a distance of a half dozen feet or so which doesn't radiate much RF energy however the near field power drops vs distance at an inverse cube rate which means any practical distances are impossible at low frequencies (not to mention the antenna's) and at higher frequencies it's too likely to radiate RF energy.

As ron said who would want to live in electric/magnetic field densities that high? People are paranoid enough about the couple watts that come from a cell phone, oh that's another thing. The energy from a near field power device will interact with every metal object in the area, and you don't want to accidentally create a good receiver if you have that much power available!

Some people say that Tesla's idea of "Wireless Transmission" was to actually use the earth's ionosphere as a conductor. The tower built at his Wardenclyffe laboratory in Long Island was intended to reach high enough so that the electricity pumped through the topload would reach the ionosphere. A tower on the other side of the world, also high enough to reach the ionosphere, would pick up the transmitted electricity and bring it back to the earth. However, this idea was flawed, as the ionosphere starts approximately 85km from the earth's surface. Tesla's tower was only 187 feet, which doesn't even reach outside of the troposphere. Perhaps understanding of the atmosphere was not as advanced when he designed it, and he did not know the ionosphere was over 50 miles above the earth's surface. Or perhaps he had a different idea in mind. I guess those are some ideas that he took with him to the grave, and we'll never know for sure.

I have also heard that he planned to transmit electricity not through the air/atmosphere, but through the earth itself (which would explain the huge metal beams connected to the base of the tower that extend 120 feet into the ground). It's too bad most of Tesla's notes were either destroyed by fires or confiscated by the government. They could answer a lot of questions people have today. If you ask me, I think they'd make for a VERY interesting read ;)

You might find this video from the History Channel interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdPoOAVAuFQ

Last edited:
Post removed--redundant

Last edited:
Wireless energy transmission is also called...lightning. Yeesh, I think the wireless energy people are in the same room with the jet pack and flying car goofballs.

There are flying cars though,and jet packs for that matter. They will just never be widespread, too many inherent limitations. Same with wireless power. It's in somewhat common use but only for very short range connections which basically eliminate that need for physical connectors for low power applications and near field communication. I wish the industry would come up with a common standard that was universally adaptable to all device that fit the form factor/power level requirements, but competing makers are proprietary, primarily in their handshake method, the power transfer mechanism is almost the same, the reason it's sad is because it required device specific adapter (basically battery pack replacements) that a slightly larger than the stock units to allow for the pickupcoils. If true standards could be adopted that were universal the coils could be embeded within stock plastic enclosures which would provide an effective 0 footprint. Probably won't happen though.

My next major phone purchase will include a wireless charger setup if I can manage it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back