Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why does every post here link to Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMl

Most Helpful Member
Just added Lightbeam to Firefox.

Why does every action here generate a link to Facebook? I detest Facebook and all the other social media crap.

Is this the source of all the spam I get from Facebook asking me to sign up?

hi Mike,
In your username drop down options menu, have you got the Link to FB integration option chosen.?

E

hi Mike,
In your username drop down options menu, have you got the Link to FB integration option chosen.?

E
No, here is what it says:

Your account is not currently associated with a Facebook account.

Looks like ET links to twitter.com and AjaxGoogleEAPI.com, too.

It calls facebook, google plus and twitter to display the likes buttons and fetch the number of likes to display. Quite common on most forums.

How are you getting spammed from facebook? through email? We never sell your details, or give out any information every from your account ever.

It calls facebook, google plus and twitter to display the likes buttons and fetch the number of likes to display.
..... which accounts for the sluggishness of this new siteware :(. I'm of the same view as MikeMl and empathise with his "I detest Facebook and all the other social media crap".

..... which accounts for the sluggishness of this new siteware :(. I'm of the same view as MikeMl and empathise with his "I detest Facebook and all the other social media crap".
I must agree, the new software is sluggish, FB and social media also makes me cringe.:arghh:
E

I'm an old cynic and think all this 'liking' and 'twitting' [is Twitter intended for twits? ;)] etc is just an excuse for the advertisers to boost page view counts.

Surprisingly I've been trying to figure out why the page load time in Google Analytics was reporting an average of 12 seconds.. It seems that it's these facebook, twitter, and Google+ calls.

I've disabled those right away to see if there is any difference. I'm pretty sure will help but not certain if it's going to be noticeable. If you do notice an improvement or not please do let me know.

I had not noticed any sluggishness nor any change with the disabling that just occurred. Using Win7/Chrome/fiber optic with about 5M download. From my perspective, I don't see how pages could have taken 12 seconds. I certainly would have noticed such sluggishness.

Like others here, I see no need for social networking. Anything from Facebook goes directly to junk mail and gets deleted regardless of names that may appear in the subject line.

John

Edit: I just retested a lot of clicks. Maybe it is the power of suggestion, but pages do seem to load a little quicker. Nevertheless, I would not consider operation over the past few days as being sluggish.

Since EM's disabled the calls, its a lot faster here, same fast rate as the previous software.

Thank you EM and ETO loyal members and Mods etc..

I did not really know how to "phrase" the issues. Me, I dislike FBook, Twitter and social media. I am a private person that dislikes links to other people out there that would simply visit by accident and waste time...

We are an Electronics forum. First and foremost. That is the key. To stay totally Professional and still attract new members.

FBook and other Social media is not the way. Just by being a "nice" Forum like AAC is also not the answer. Not that we are nasty...ETO helps with facts only. And so should it stay.

So, I believe us loyal members at ETO must keep our heads down and put our collective shoulders to the wheel. And stay proud knowing we are the very best on the NET bar none. Technical advise given here is always rock solid.

......if we don't know.....we don't guess. Try and help yes....and that is it.

Regards,
tvtech

TvTech

I am in agreement with you.
Facebook and Twitter are for people who have much to say about nothing.

While we are on the subject, most of the postings in the "Introduce yourself" area are just drive by postings by one post wonders who are never seen again.
In line with my grumpy old man personna, I never respond to postings of the form "I am very happy to be here on the forum". A total waste of time and effort.

Grumpy Old JimB

Unfortunately, I live 14miles down a twisted pair DSL line, so my download speeds are about 250Kbaud. Page loads seem to have speeded up without the linking to Twitter and Facebook

Faster page loads here too. Thanks EM for getting rid of the FB etc clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back