Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why are sockets called Male/Female ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The world is such a whacko place that I wouldn't doubt there are fruity engineers out there trying to design "transgender" connectors!

Gender changers?

Already on the market. :) Check out SUB-D gender changers.

Boncuk

Yeh second that on the socket drivers!

Now one post mentioned that the socket holds the plug .Trying not to be rude there is a little girl doing the ¨I´ll show you mine if you show me yours ¨ thing and goes home very upset that she does not have one. The next day she comes back and says to the young boy ¨ my Mum says with one of these I can get as many of those as I want¨

Gender changers? Already on the market. :) Check out SUB-D gender changers.
Boncuk
I know, I have several in a parts cabinet drawer. But they are still male or female by design.

I've had confusion like that too Brownout when dealing with the reverse SMA connectors used for RF antennas. The plug and the socket look roughly the same but the gender is opposite.

Gender changers?

Already on the market. :) Check out SUB-D gender changers.

Boncuk

I have few SUB-D gender changers too.
They let you connect two male or two female connectors together.
Sooooo useful!

Jacks should be called snatches.

Then the male could tell the socket: I'll put my plug into your snatch.

Did they call it socket because women suck ?

Its confusing.

Jacks should be called snatches.

Then the male could tell the socket: I'll put my plug into your snatch.

Did they call it socket because women suck ?

Its confusing.
Me thinks the above poster is horny! :(

Usually the pins determine the sex. The catcher is for REV sex connectors.
I can find:

Male - rev sex
Female - rev sex

This is the usual connector arrangement. A male pin and a female body. The DB connectoris agood example.

Female - Same sex
Male - Same Sex

CPC connectors come in both configurations

Hermaphadite - The IEEE-488 connectors

Some connectors you can mic and match pins in the housings. Molex an example.

But things get complicated with other connectors. They can have coax and pins in the same connector.

What about stackable plug's like 4mm banana sockets...

Oh no, I've got an image in my head now. :eek:

This is a funny thread :p...

Simple explanation is that the Male has an extended orifice. The Female has a socket which will comfortably accommodate said Male orifice.

Any simpler explanation will be crude....:p

Cheers

OK, look here:

Receptacle and plugs whch are "non gendered"

Fun? right?

We have hermaphadite humans and people with sex change operations, too.

I wouldn't say repressed BrownOut, it's like fart jokes, making fun of male/female anatomy is a common sophmoric past time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back