Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

whitespace boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

laroche73

here's a basic question. how do you enclose something in a whitespace box when writing a reply - for example, when quoting something from a previous posting? I think mechie mentioned enclosing things with "code" and "code/" markers, but I'm quite new to HTML, obviously :cry: . An example would help. Thank you
- CAL

Fancy formatting

Hi laroche73,
Here goes - I have used curly brackets {} instead of square ones [] to stop the commands working :?

Code:
When you post a reply the form has some buttons above the typing area
such as {b} to turn bold text on (cancelled with a {/b}) etc.

The list of options includes :-

{code}, very useful for tables of info as the font used is 'monospaced' -
every character is the same size so columns are easy to create

{quote}, anything after this will be inset in a box (similar to code) but
carries the title "Quote" above it.

Every command needs to be cancelled with the same command prefixed
with '/', all wrapped up in square brackets eg {/quote}

If you hover your mouse pointer over these options a quick explanation
of how to use them appears immediately above the typing area.
mechie said:
That's how I do it :wink:
... Note smartass use of {quote="mechie"} to add a name
I also do this 8)
... Plain old {quote} for comparison

Much better example of code ...
(bizzarely, the very post you were referring to, subsequently edited if you remember)

Ever wanted to indent text ? adding space characters won't work, they get deleted when you submit your post! The {list} option does the indenting for you :wink:

• (Sneaky use of {color=blue} command (note American spelling :roll:) This text is jibberish just to demonstrate the use of the {list} option, remember I am using curly brackets to replace square brackets in order to stop the command working. I hope this is enough text to cause a few line-wraps so the indenting effect can be seen.
    [list:717438449f]
    A second level of indent? a second {list} command.
    This text is jibberish just to demonstrate the use of the {list} option, remember I am using curly brackets to replace square brackets in order to stop the command working. I hope this is enough text to cause a few line-wraps so the indenting effect can be seen.
[/list:u:717438449f]
Play, try things out; use the 'Preview' button instead of 'Submit' to see what happens. All the commands work similarly so once you get the idea of a few the rest seem easier !

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back