Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which components

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many XBOX forums, I would guess you might find those more useful. It's most likely the firmware is a mess and it's not an electrical failure.

See the edit I made to my last post.

Why are we suddenly talking about overheating? Nobody even mentioned it.

Torben
From what I understand thats what causes most 3 red lights on the 360. Just giving some info.

There are many XBOX forums, I would guess you might find those more useful. It's most likely the firmware is a mess and it's not an electrical failure.

The firmware is fine. I had someone who is very experienced with modding check it. he advised me it was a hardware issue. I have also went on many forums and Ive been told its a hardware issue. And to do xclamp fix wich I also had some one do, who has fixed many systems that had a loose gpu or cpu connection.

Last edited:
I just looked up the "xclap heat gun fix". I seriously doubt that it would have any lasting effect. The idea is that it reflows the solders to solidify the connections but you'd need to know what you were doing to do this without risking killing at least some components, or at least bending their values somewhat. A bad idea in general unless you really know what you're doing.

In the cases where it appears to work, people seem to report that it often only works for a limited time, which makes me think that it's just the process of taking the box apart and putting it back together which jostles things around a bit so they work. It would probably be just as effective to just whack the box a couple of times.

Torben

The firmware is fine. I had someone who is very experienced with modding check it. he advised me it was a hardware issue. I have also went on many forums and Ive been told its a hardware issue. And to do xclamp fix wich I also had some one do, who has fixed many systems that had a loose gpu or cpu connection.

How did he check the flash?

Torben

Last edited:
I just looked up the "xclap heat gun fix". I seriously doubt that it would have any lasting effect. The idea is that it reflows the solders to solidify the connections but you'd need to know what you were doing to do this without risking killing at least some components, or at least bending their values somewhat. A bad idea in general unless you really know what you're doing.

In the cases where it appears to work, people seem to report that it often only works for a limited time, which makes me think that it's just the process of taking the box apart and putting it back together which jostles things around a bit so they work. It would probably be just as effective to just whack the box a couple of times.

Torben

Yea I agree with you on that. I didnt wanna do it becuase I never had a issue but I took a risk. Hope fully the connections didnt get loose doing it.

I had an XBOX 360, absolute rubbish as far as build quality. Went through 3 in 3 days. All RROD. Noisy buggers too.
The girlfriend likes the Wii better, low res but quiet and doesn't chew through the electricity like XBOX or PS3.

How did he check the flash?

Torben

He has a key checker. He compares the original key to the new one. He also flashed it back to the original. Still did not work. He then flashed it to another xbox key and it worked on adiffrent xbox.

My crystal ball says this is your best bet.
Originally Posted by heyhi
I ordered a dvd drive. but im gonna have to flash it oh well this is the last xbox product i ever get. when im done with this im gonna sell it and get a ps3

Ehhhh I really dont want to.It sucks cause I caused this. I dont have to much money to spend due to the economy.. Im losing sleep over this. Im in NJ and its 2.48 am.

Last edited:
Not really sure but Its still gonna run 250.00 and the games arent as good.

Well, we have to agree with one thing:
It's better when you break your things than when you pay other people to break them.

The main problem is that your XBox is not only composed by the DVD unit and the firmware. It has a very complex design, full of logic components. If you destroy a single logical gate of some isolated IC, that may be present on the XBOX mobo, that you destroy, is a piece component.

So it's very hard to repair that kind of errors.

They have a new XBOX 360, supposed to fix the RROD and it starts at $199. You get to keep your old games too. Also try craigslist as folks sell these things all the time.

Yea I guess. Id much rather fix it. hopefully I can.

Arrite.. lol this is what I was after. Thanks alot guys. My multi meter is at work so this is what im gonna be spending my weekend doing. Thanks alot. Please keep posting any ideas at all.

Lol I might do that when all else fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back