Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to find micro gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I find myself wanting to get back into mini RC projects again. One of my biggest problems right now is gears. It seems whenever I decide to modify or build something I run into a problem in the gearing department. The common shaft diameters I seem to run into are 1, 1.5, and 2mm's, the outside diameters are highly variable up to 2cms maximum, though the 'normal' gearing I seem to find is closer to 1/2-1 centimeter.

There seems to be three different styles of gears I run into, plastic for toys or low torque devices (already stripped a few) bronze for wear/high torque stuff (printers and what not) and in some cases steel, heat treated sometimes.

Can anyone aim me at a website to find gears in this range? I'm kind of looking for a place where I can pick up an inexpensive variety pack of a wide variety of gears both plastic and metal as I often don't know what gear pitch I'm going to have to use. I can't develop anything without a wide range to work from, till I know what I have to deal with. Since I'm modifying devices, a common variety pack style approach is my main goal.

Forum powers unite, help me out if ya can =)

Last edited:
I'm sorry ron but that looks like absolutely nothing like I was asking about. My bore diameter is 1, 1.5 and 2mms as best I can tell. The link you listed is .07 inches... (1.78 mms approx) for the bore diameter. We're not even sharing the same metric, it doesn't even list a pitch for that package. I don't know if I'm missing what you were trying to convey but not a single gear on that page looks even close, and those are all for SAE measure not metric.

Last edited:
Sceadwian, how come you want metric and you live in US ??

Anyhow, I never seen a bore in metric (1, 1.5, 2mm) in any hoby shop... They are all in those weird x/y" :) and I live in Europe where metric is the way of life ... so we get bore size of 2.38mm or 3.18mm :( ... anyhow here's SDPSI site, they have "everything"

I think these guy's have what you need - not sure on the prices but ..
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp?GroupID=591
Plastic Gears Spur Bevel Miter Worm Internal Gear Helical Gears Precision Rack Pinion ring Gear blanks spiral Anti-Backlash miniature nylon Worm Gears Gear & Dial Hubs from SDP/SI

scientificonline sometimes has something interesting so it is worth checking, today they have "ziltch":
Plastic Gears - bag of 20, assorted sizes | Edmund Scientific

Mini Gear Assortment-The Electronic Goldmine
BAG OF 26 WHITE PLASTIC GEARS - Surplus Shed

Just a couple of listing at surplus sites I shop... Also you might be interested in tearing open some timing motors, a surprising assortment of brass gears in such a small case. Unfortunately, they are a beach to open up. The bore should be in the range you are looking for, and the motors are cheap/free if you salvage from appliances or repair shops, couple of bucks surplus.

Just because I live in the US doesn't mean I have to use SAE measure =) I was never a fan of the fractional system that's used here. Most of the mini RC stuff I'm interested in is modifying cheap toys, and a lot of the gearing in them is metric. I could be wrong on the precise dimensions of the gearing, I don't have a caliper yet so I can't measure something that small easily. The shaft diameter is less than 2mms I can tell you that much, and I know the output shaft on the micro motors for the mini heli's are 1mm shafts. I'm really kicking myself for tossing a lot of the plastic gears I've pulled out of devices over the years.

Maybe these folks have something you can use...

**broken link removed**

Jeff

:D I hate the x/y" system too, metric rulez for me but that's maybe only because I grew up with it ... anyhow, lot of machinery even here is based on the " measurements (leftover from pre ww2 germany basically), and most of the bigger ones I c in the stores are in SAE and not metric....

if you go to sdpsi link I sent, you'll notice that bunch of gear types are manufactured only in " and only some are manufactured in both metric and "...

As for the "getting rid of all those gears" ... :( :( :( :( :(

Check out the Tamiya range of gear motors and accessories. They have a lot of modular gear system you can build your own ratio.

Or go dumpster diving and pull apart a heap of old FAX machines, they are full of metric gears... Also all CD and DVD drives etc usually have a lot of very fine pitch metric gears too. You local PC store might have bins full of old dead CD drives you can get for a smile.

Battery powered desk or wall clocks.

Ken

Which mini heli is it? I have an indoor coaxial which I can fly quite well and a blade 400 which I keep crashing. I can get any part for either of them at very reasonable cost.

And, I also prefer metric. Especially for any physical calculations.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back