Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find the complete circuit diagram for PIC pgrogrammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is How I added the cap and the resister for the filtering.
10211-pgd filter.jpg

hi,
Ran the hex file, the PORTB.0 pin only goes high once for a VERY short time and the program gets locked into repeating delay loop.

:mad:
hi,
Ran the hex file, the PORTB.0 pin only goes high once for a VERY short time and the program gets locked into repeating delay loop.
The port C0 is input. It should be tied high for the b0 to blink.
But the program is non-issue here. I am not able to write out a single bit. :(

Hi,

I am not able to write out a single bit.

One thing to check, your Parallel Port Bios settings - worth trying all three types - just checked mine - its the default value of ECP+EPP.

What you must consider is that although you can correctly test all the lines in a static condition, when you are actually programming its at a high frequency and long unshielded wires can cause all sorts of problems.
By long I mean over 150mm - have even had failures on a Pickit2 with loose wiring like that.

Would strongly suggest if you want to continue down this line of programmer you either use a pcb or rebuild your strip board as close as possible to a pcb layout /size.

Have just found and updated a slightly later pfd for the one I did, it now has 2 pic sockets - also just got the old boards out and tested both types and they worked first time on 16F and 18F chips.

Attachments

• Pic Parallel Programmer.pdf
    322.2 KB · Views: 281
Hi,
One thing to check, your Parallel Port Bios settings - worth trying all three types - just checked mine - its the default value of ECP+EPP.
Tried that. No success. In EPP mode, it took quite long (about 5 seconds) to attempt to program, but as usual the verification failed. In other modes it takes fraction of a second.

Here is the image of what my programmer looks like.
**broken link removed****broken link removed**.**broken link removed**
I think the wire is good length.

Last edited:
We should point future posters to this thread. Two pages of "Don't do it because it will be a pain to get working" followed by 7 pages of "Why isn't it working". And only 1 "told you so". LOL.

Mike.

We should point future posters to this thread.
Mike.
It would be my honor I think. Lol.

But, I thought, Electronics wouldn't, Work/Don't Work by throwing a Dice inside them. There must be some theory or reasons, why it works/don't work. I thought, by the help of forum members, I would be able to spot the reason. No, hard feeling even if I don't succeed, But I will try, until I get bored.

But, I thought, Electronics wouldn't, Work/Don't Work by throwing a Dice inside them. There must be some theory or reasons, why it works/don't work. I thought, by the help of forum members, I would be able to spot the reason. No, hard feeling even if I don't succeed, But I will try, until I get bored.

The problem is that PCs and components vary. This is especially true of serial ports where the voltage can range from ±3 to ±12V. The parallel port programmers are usually more stable but it is very easy to damage the parallel port whilst learning.

Mike.

Perhaps you should try building a **broken link removed**. It is just a cable with 4 resistors.
You loose 1 IO pin and I am not sure how many chips are LVP enabled. A small price to pay by comparison.
Oh! sounds great. If the Price for such a simple programming interface is "Loose a single I/O pin", I am happy for that. I initially thought LVP would involve more complexities than HVP, so never ever thought in that side. The Datasheet of 16f877A says, LVP bit is factory set. Sounds Great. Are there more downsides to LVP?

But what software do I use? The IC-prog supports only com port? Do you know of parallel port LVP programmer?

Last edited:
:mad:
The port C0 is input. It should be tied high for the b0 to blink.
But the program is non-issue here. I am not able to write out a single bit. :(

Why has my offer to run your hex file, which you posted for me to try, earned me a 'mad' smiley.????

Why has my offer to run your hex file, which you posted for me to try, earned me a 'mad' smiley.????
Never mind. sorry. That was not the intention. Are you really serious or kidding? Lol.
I messed up with the smilies. Real apologies.

Never mind. sorry. That was not the intention. Are you really serious or kidding? Lol.
I messed up with the smilies. Real apologies.

No problemo!
I just get the impression that you are feeling negative towards the posters trying to help you...:)

Do you live in the UK,???? I see that the stated location is Nepal.??

Oh! sounds great. If the Price for such a simple programming interface is "Loose a single I/O pin", I am happy for that. I initially thought LVP would involve more complexities than HVP, so never ever thought in that side. The Datasheet of 16f877A says, LVP bit is factory set. Sounds Great. Are there more downsides to LVP?

But what software do I use? The IC-prog supports only com port? Do you know of parallel port LVP programmer?
Nope. I have never build one. MPLAB does not have a driver for it so that is a deal breaker for me.

I think if you look at the parallel you might be able to figure out how to make a LVP cable that uses its driver. Could involve a 7404. I would just find a computer with a serial port.

No other down side.

Last edited:
Nope. I have never build one. MPLAB does not have a driver for it so that is a deal breaker for me.

I think if you look at the parallel I would just find a computer with a serial port.
Found it. And Going to make the LVP cable. Best of luck to myself.
BTW, how to I tell ICprog that I am using LVP cable?

Found it. And Going to make the LVP cable. Best of luck to myself.
BTW, how to I tell ICprog that I am using LVP cable?

I strongly suggest you read all of the text on the page on how to build the LVP cable.

For programming, you can use ICProg from Bonny Gijzen. Configure as JDM-type-programmer (by reducing the setting of I/O-Delay you can speed up programming but increase the risk of errors).

I think I can safely Declare Now that: The parallel port PIC programmer and Software I tried Parallel Port PIC Programmer, don't work, and expert members here, can't make any more suggestions for making it work. So, Project Dead. :eek:

I know, people out there might be saying that I was far early told how my project was going to fail. But, No worries to me, I learned many things,and thats important to me. :)

Moreover, as Pommie has mentioned, you can redirect future people who tend to make such programmer, to here, to show them the risk involved.
:rolleyes: (I don't quite know, which smilies I should be posting. :))

Hi,

I think I can safely Declare Now that: The parallel port PIC programmer and Software I tried Parallel Port PIC Programmer, don't work, and expert members here, can't make any more suggestions for making it work. So, Project Dead.

Well wonder why I wasted my time building several PP programmers and taking the trouble to write a PDF for others to use to complete a pic project I did, if they don't work ?
Have just programmed a chip with one as you can see on the screenshot below.

As already mentioned you may have damaged your parallel ports or still have some damage or incorrect wiring on your programmer board or possibly even blown your pic chip.
You also have to check the programmer software that all the options / parameters are also correcly specified -its easy to miss them.

Thats why its so difficult for a beginner with limited knowledge, abiltiy and parts to get them working first time.
Often you find it easier to totaly scrap you existing board and build a new one with new components.

With all you have now learnt why not give it a fresh try....

Attachments

• ProgOK.jpg
    ProgOK.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 157
@WP100

I have come to the conclusion that there are just too many variables in getting most programmers working the first time.

Lets see how thecritic makes out with the LVP method. If that works for him maybe we can get the new people up to speed faster.

I know the programmer is only part of the initial startup problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back