Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find the complete circuit diagram for PIC pgrogrammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecritic

I need the programmer for programming PIC16f877A. (40-pin)
All I got were programmers for PIC16F84 and the likes. (No-40 pins).
I also need the softwares.

Have a look at this design. It may work for you.
**broken link removed**

edit, Eric got there first, the link I posted is the second one on his search.

Last edited:
I went to this (Which came at the first page on your google search)
Serial Port PIC Programmer
but the schematic seems hung.
I hope I require only this part
**broken link removed**
But what do I connect to the
Vcc, V+, Data Out, Data in, Clock out, Vpp Vdd ?

Here's the full schematic.

Attachments

• picprogserialhard.png
    picprogserialhard.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 988
hi,
Your image shows only the MAX232, you need the complete circuit.

Last edited:
Hi,

Build xxxx, get xxxx !

Think ahead a little to when you want to program other chips and do things like Debugger etc etc.

Either buy a proper usb programmmer like a genuine Microchip Pickit2 or build your own like the Pickit2 Lite as shown many times in this forum.

Max-232 is said to boost the voltage in itself (by using external caps). What do I need the 13 volts supply for?
(I am not into buying professional programmer nor into trying things as complex is pickit2 lite)

I built a MAX232 based programmer that just needed 5V. I still have it somewhere and it worked well. I believe the Vellman kit is very similar.

Mike.

Hi,

Well have tried and failed to get JDM type programmers to work,the type of serial port on your pc has a lot to do with it apparently.
Had a degree of success with the Parallel Port programmers though most seem really limited in the chips they can use etc.

The Pickit2 Lite is actually very simple, if I can build one sure anyone can.
The only part you might find difficult to source is the 680uh choke ( the Ferrite is not needed )
The other problem is that you must program the 18F2550 chip to start with but sure a local ET member might help out there.
The advantages would take too long to list.

Attachments

• pk2mini.jpg
    pk2mini.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 637
The 13V is required to program the chip. It is applied to the VPP pin during programing.

Generating the 13V VPP is often the fly in the ointment.
If you have a 13V supply you can use it place of other methods of generating VPP (MAX232 RS232-port charge pump). Just be sure the programmer uses a transistor to turn it on and off.

If you do not have one you can build one with a LM317 regulator and a few resistors and caps.

PICkit 2 or PICkit 3. All of the rest may or may not work with the serial port your computer may or may not have, the parallel port your computer may or may not have, the particular flavor of USB-serial adapter you happen to buy because your computer doesn't have and serial port....and oh yes, if the hardware happens to work, when you upgrade Windows versions, it may break.

Did I happen to mention that the programmer may or may not support the actual part you want to use?

hi,
I have made a couple of these for friends, they work fine, check that the software covers your PIC types.
Note what 3v0 says about the 13V+ source.

Thanks eric. I am going to use parallel port. (since it requires less Ics and circuitry than the serial port)
Yes the software covers 16f877A. I think I can safely replace the 100n Caps with higher values.
How did you generate 13V+ source? I am thinking of using 12V battery in series with 1.5 volts. OR, just a fully charged 12-V Lead-Acid battery (which I posses) is enough as it is around 12.8 Volts?

(I amazed to see some people continually suggest me to use Pickits (which requires a preaccess to another programmer), despite my repeated desire to avoid them)

Thanks eric. I am going to use parallel port. (since it requires less Ics and circuitry than the serial port)
Yes the software covers 16f877A. I think I can safely replace the 100n Caps with higher values.
How did you generate 13V+ source? I am thinking of using 12V battery in series with 1.5 volts. OR, just a fully charged 12-V Lead-Acid battery (which I posses) is enough as it is around 12.8 Volts?

(I amazed to see some people continually suggest me to use Pickits (which requires a preaccess to another programmer), despite my repeated desire to avoid them)
hi,
For the 13V, use a 12V regulator, 7812 or 78L12, add a couple of resistors to change the output to 13V.

hi,
For the 13V, use a 12V regulator, 7812 or 78L12, add a couple of resistors to change the output to 13V.

This requires a pre-acess to around 15V DC or higher isn't it?
O.k. then I have to search for 220/15 V transformer.
Thanks

thecritic said:

The three main reasons for this are.

• Microchip keeps the software up to date on these programmers regarding devices.
  • The Pickit2 and 3 are also ICDs, In Circuit Debuggers.
  • The Pickit2 is only $35 (plus shipping).
Not everyone likes debuggers but they are very powerful tools.

The shipping can be expensive. But if you buy a few PICs at the same time it is less painful.

In the past I have suggest to cobble a simple programmer together and then use it to build a pickit2 clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back