Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What/where do you go to find new electronic "stuff"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich D.

Hi, I'm a new member here but I have been involved in electronics since about the time LEDs were introduced. Recently I started a new business venture...I know, I know...I will not get into a shameless promotion on here and get Booo'd away, but I would like to ask, and hope that some of you would be so kind as to offer a true answer:

Where do you go to look for parts, ideas, kits and other electronic products? I'm well aware of the Mousers and Digi-Keys, Jameco's etc. and obviously THIS site, but more interested in finding out about other sites you read such as EDN, favorite blogs, smaller sites or publications where a small-time, starving guy like me could get mentioned or advertize my latest wiz-bang gizmos. I really think I have something that could be popular to the electronics hobby (Kickstarter backers liked it), but I just need a hunk of exposure, and I am running out of time and money to make it happen.

So anybody out there willing to throw me a bone? Thanks in advance. -RD

I like to read good books.. last time I got inspired by reading a book "Visualizing Quaternions". Other source of inspiration is watching video blogs and lectures. Walter Lewin is one of my favorites.

Also, Elektor magazine.

ElectorMagazineCover.JPG

Last edited:
Get most my new parts from dads workshop, I havnt found anywhere cheaper yet :D, books I get from abe books. Dads workshop has a poor choice in books.

Also, Elektor magazine.

View attachment 85527

Hi Val

I cannot remember when I last purchased an electronics magazine :eek:. All I know is that in the Eighties...ELEKTOR was a much trusted brand. Their published circuits always worked. Good to hear they are still strong.

Heck this brings back memories though:

1. Hobby Electronics. I built my first Bench PSU from their published design around 1978 when still in school on a self etched PCB layout shown by them. It never regulated the Output Voltage.....but it had awesome Current limiting.... I used it to mostly take AC187 and AC188's (If I remember correctly Germanium NPN and PNP transistors in little metal casings) right to the edge in low power audio applications. As soon as the they started getting hot and started drawing too much current...my little PSU saved them. Little Germanium thermal runaway problems were dealt with effectively.

2. Practical Electronics. Another magazine I used to buy regularly then. Good designs but they were all Veroboard based....hard to build even one without stuffing up and then the thing did not work.

3. ETI or Electronics Today International: One of the best. That was kick ass in the late 70's to early 80's. Interesting articles, proper PCB designs that worked and just a totally polished show.

4. ELEKTOR. Never ever had a circuit and accompanying PCB from them that did not work as intended. I discovered that then and I am happy they are sill around now. They absolutely deserve the fact that they are still out there and selling Electronics Mags still :)

All the best,
tvtech

Last edited:
Magazines I get particle electronics, but its get expensive to buy mags and the quality of the projects has changed from dads old mags. I prefer reading his old collection from Noah's days

I give my opinion as where to find parts and other stuff relatively cheaply: flea market. may sound silly, but you'll never know what treasures you come accross! of course, if you can accept used-stuff that is...
For components, i buy from tayda electronics/ebay and TME.

Welcome to forum! :)

I give my opinion as where to find parts and other stuff relatively cheaply: flea market. may sound silly, but you'll never know what treasures you come accross! of course, if you can accept used-stuff that is...
For components, i buy from tayda electronics/ebay and TME.

Welcome to forum! :)

This is funny :)

Hey Fez....you are Welcoming LG...That's funny. You have both been here a while LOL. That's why I love this place.

All the best :)

tvtech

Tech, i didn't welcome little ghostman, (no offence) but original thread starter, rich D, as he has only 4 posts ;).

I can see why this confusion arouse :D...

ETO and other Foruma
Tech, i didn't welcome little ghostman, (no offence) but original thread starter, rich D, as he has only 4 posts ;).

It does not matter.....just stick around and enjoy the ride....

One day in the near Future we will all enjoy a bit of fun again...is that :cool: or what??

Regards,
tvtech

haha, i hear ya :D

Spammers Buddy.

Or maybe Trolls :troll:. You know the ones with the long noses.

Just keep calm.

Regards,
tvtech

Tech, i didn't welcome little ghostman, (no offence)

Not sure how to take that!:confused: :D I was about to reply thank you for the welcome :p.
I will consider myself welcomed hows that? :joyful:

We are all trying to sort stuff out LG...and knowing Fez as I do he regards you as a Pal.

That's pretty cool in my book. Now LG.....do not move the house AGAIN!!! LOL.:D

Regards,
tvtech

I was going to post a whole complicated reply here...but guess what...it's not necessary :)

Yip it's me
tvtech

Last edited:
Oh well I got banned from AAC! guess why? Yep a certain salad dressing that was banned from here lol. Same story as last time really except a new level of stupidity!
If you want a laugh go read dexter mCcoy or whatever it is over there, you will recognize the poster straight away! Its a real shame seeing it happen to them like it did here. Will be interesting to see what happens

Oh well I got banned from AAC! guess why? Yep a certain salad dressing that was banned from here lol. Same story as last time really except a new level of stupidity!
If you want a laugh go read dexter mCcoy or whatever it is over there, you will recognize the poster straight away! Its a real shame seeing it happen to them like it did here. Will be interesting to see what happens[/quote

You are OK LG

Lot's of stuff happening on the Net and all. Stay happy, stay young and stay iquisitive. (Spelling).

tvtech

Have you considered YouTube? There's scads of stuff on it for sale. And, of course, Google is the primary feed to YT sites.

If you hook up with Clickbank, they provide the payment platform and an opportunity for "affiliates" to push your wares. I should point out that the afffiliates get a 75% commission (A-mazing, to me), so you'll have to price your stuff accordingly.

There is a distinct time lag, both for set up (SEO utilization learning curve) and payments (60 day hold for returrns issues) but except for software (SEO stuff) it is essentially free.

Uhm. How are you these days Bob?

Since the Spider bite I slurr a little bit more than normal

Regards,

tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back