Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of component is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fractal5

**broken link removed**

What type of component is the burned one near the the upper right corner? It has the label "53*" something. Is it a transistor?

It looks like a SM power transistor - but it's VERY difficult to find out what type, or what the number means (if anything?).

What you need is a full service manual for the unit, if such a thing even exists (often these days manuals don't even give a circuit, never mind a proper list of parts).

Possibly an SM voltage regulator or a switching transistor given the large inductor beside it. As Nigel said, it's impossible really to know for sure without some additional information :)

Looks like it has one button, ground and Vcc(?) connections.

What does the board do?

It is a controller board for an electric razor, it handles charging (NiMh), enabling the motor and controlling an LED.
What brand/model razor? Does it still work? When it was/is working, what did/does the button switch do (for instance, change speeds?)? Seems like a lot of circuit for just charging the batteries.

Can you post some more pictures? Like:

1. the other side of the board
2. the batteries (with mAh capacity showing)
3. the razor apart but still connected to everything.

The burnt component seems to be part of a circuit separate from the 16 pin SMD circuitry but conceivably controlled by it.

Good help, pfofit.

What little I can suss from the picture, that device may very well be driving the razor's motor (or the recharge function, but I'm leaning towards motor control).

Not really enough info to go on, yet.

What brand/model razor? Does it still work? When it was/is working, what did/does the button switch do (for instance, change speeds?)? Seems like a lot of circuit for just charging the batteries.

Can you post some more pictures? Like:

1. the other side of the board
2. the batteries (with mAh capacity showing)
3. the razor apart but still connected to everything.

The burnt component seems to be part of a circuit separate from the 16 pin SMD circuitry but conceivably controlled by it.

The other side of the board appears just blank, see included image.
The batteries are NiMh, slightly modified AA cells (they have a small "pin" at each end that fits into the groove in the battery compartment), there is no capacity listed on them (I doubt these were ever intended for end-user replacement considering the effort it takes to even open up the device without breaking it). But I charged one of them and I got about 2 Ah onto it when charging at 1 A.

There is an electric motor under the metal plate that rests slightly over on the far left-hand side of the board. The same metal plate is the one that pushes on the button to activate the motor.

There is no motor control except on/off, no speed adjustment functionality.

Measurements for the burned component: 2.35 mm x 4.43 mm. I have desoldered it in the included pictures.

It does still work, but does not charge. The charging circuit probably broke when I connected the charger the wrong way (a modified charger). :)

Make and model: Braun Series 3 340s-4

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed** **broken link removed**

Last edited:
My guess.
Have you measured the output of the charging base to see if'n there is any output?

burned_component.jpg

My guess.
Have you measured the output of the charging base to see if'n there is any output?

Thanks for your input, very nice.

I have tested that, it doesn't charge. I guess I just need to try a new component, I'll try getting an SOT223 and solder it in, and see what happens.

I have tested that, it doesn't charge.
Yes, but what is the output voltage of the base?
It looks like there are three contacts: +, - and a signal wire, maybe detecting that the razor is plugged in to it.
Verify that the base is working before going to far.

I'll try getting an SOT223 and solder it in, and see what happens.

From your measurements in your last post, it looks to be a SOT89 device.

2015-05-24_211539.jpg

Yes, but what is the output voltage of the base?
It looks like there are three contacts: +, - and a signal wire, maybe detecting that the razor is plugged in to it.
Verify that the base is working before going to far.

From your measurements in your last post, it looks to be a SOT89 device.

View attachment 92663

Sorry I misread you. It does give 12 volts output at the base, the power/charging LED also lights up and blinks -- as it is supposed to when charging. However, it never shows a continuously lit LED which indicates the charging is complete. I.e. it attempts to charge forever (from the user's perspective, I have not attempted to scope any of the electronics while in action). But I'm certain that the batteries do not charge but that the batteries are fine (since I charged one of them myself on a third party charger and got 2 Ah onto one).

... But I'm certain that the batteries do not charge but that the batteries are fine (since I charged one of them myself on a third party charger and got 2 Ah onto one).
My emphasis.

Since the batts appear to be in series, did you try charging (and discharging) both of them while wired in series?

BTW, does the shaver have just one speed, or several (presumably controlled by the button switch)?

My emphasis.

Since the batts appear to be in series, did you try charging (and discharging) both of them while wired in series?

BTW, does the shaver have just one speed, or several (presumably controlled by the button switch)?

I have only tried to charge one of the cells, I have only discharged them when they were in the machine itself. Charging worked, discharging and actual use was fine. Only the charging procedure stopped working after I reversed the polarity by mistake. I can try charging the other cell too but I have no reason to suspect it is faulty. I don't see how it would be useful to charge them while in series though (except as a more easy/faster test to verify both cells are able to accept a charge?).

The shaver has just one speed setting. It appears to just run at full power and degrades as the output of the battery degrades, I don't think it has any kind of speed controller for the motor at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back