Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What monitor do you have on your PC?

What monitor do you have on your PC?

• 15" CRT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 17" CRT

• 19" CRT

• 20" CRT

• 15" LCD

• 17" LCD

• 19" LCD

• 20" LCD

• I use an TV

• I use an projector

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
actually i use a 25''LCD but i could not vote for that :(

I'll be lucky if my monitor is even a 15" LCD.

I'm still running Windows 95! :lol:

I must say, the screw-up rate on my computer is at 0.5%, and I use it alot.

Did have a 15" lcd at work but went back to using the 17" crt after the office cat complained of having lost her favourite place sleep :lol:

21" sony CRT on pc1
19" belinea CRT on pc2
19" Compaq CRT on pc3
17" compaq & 15" sony in the closet.

Haven't found a single LCD wich made me happy yet.
Eighter black isnt black enough, or it has ghosting, or ...

Used to have a 17" CRT, but something went wrong, there was kind of a bright patch burn on the front, behind the glass, and it actually started to cause sunburn effects on the face :shock: . Now got a 15" TFT, different colour response, but much safer and tidier.

3 voted 15" CRTs?

Some old PCs in school had such screens and it drived me nuts you can bary have one window open on such an small one.

I have an 19" CRT and im happy whith it.I have it for 5 years and i never had to get it to the repair shop.It still has the brightnes and contrast out of the digital menus.(I love those two knobs on the botom)Wen i read text i set it to low(so its easyer on the eyes) and i set it high wen playing 3D games(so i can see somting,becose there mostly dark)

Most popole that i know and my frend have 17" CRTs,In school they have 17" LCDs.The table is not big enugh for an 19" CRT(I wod rather see an 19" CRT insted of an 17" LCD and the CRT wod be cheaper)

one of the most anyoing things wen looking at an monitor is wen there is lignt shining behind the monitor.

yeah, i had a 17", then it went beserk on me and i tried repairing it, only for it to work for another hour before dying again. got a 15" from a friend for free :lol:

a question ive always ponered: do LCDs refresh? or do they just keep their color on until it has to change? that came out a little garbled, but i think you know what i mean. a CRT HAS to refresh because it has a single small beam. LCDs dont.

I believe thats it, they "refresh" when they are made to change colours. That response time they have in the spec is how long it'll take for any given pixel to go from black to white. I'm also pretty sure that they have no need for a screensaver.

Pïxels on a TFT are updated one by one much like a crt, but the pixels have memory and stay lit until the next update...

Come on ... own up.. who's using a projector?

Yea whats whith the projector?

Meaby someone wants an ultra big screen.But the replacment bulbs are extremly expensive.

You're right, projector bulbs ARE very expensive. I was talking to a TA from Sanyo and, as you may know, Sanyo seem to have made projectors their specialty - I think they're now the market leaders in that field.

He was telling me that a projector bulb can last for around 1000-2000 hours. That sounds quite a lot, but let's add all that up for a minute. Let's assume that you use the projector for 6-hours in the day and it lasts for 2000 hours. That means the bulb will last you 333 days which isn't even a year. A replacement bulb will on average cost you around £400 so on that kind of useage and assuming a 2000 hour life-span the projector would cost you £400 a year! That's also assuming you use it properly because apparently unless you switch the things off properly the life-span of the bulb is very significantly reduced.

Even if we half the usage per day to say 3 hours, you're still talking £200 a year on bulbs.

Nightmare.

Brian

Not to mentchon the power they consume and that heat they produce.

Dad once got an laptop and an projector at work to make an presentation.We Got to seting it all up and we got it working.The projector keeps blowing extremly hot air.Its a like a heater.

He had huge problems since the 50 000 $ 3D design software keept crashing on its crap graphics card and CPU

Why is the bulb so expensive? wouldnt a normal bulb work?

Ill have to google and find out how those things work, ive always been curious.

No a normal bulb would definately not work, a projector doesn't work like that at all. The bulb actually forms part of the picture projection process and is highly complex.

The bulbs are so very expensive due to the nature of the technology behind them. The reason they have such a low usage limit is probably due to the temperature they run at - that's why projectors can be compared to little fan heaters. It's also why if you don't turn them off properly the life-span of the bulb is significantly reduced, because unless the unit is allowed to complete a proper shut-down procedure the bulb won't be cooled gently enough. If you're interested Zach I can probably lay my hands on some Sanyo projector articles which explain how they work.

Brian

naw, thats alright. ill check out howstuffworks or somethin.

it was always my idea that there was a tiny little LCD, and a lightbulb behind it. The LCD, being like those in watches (a piece of partial see-through glass) would create colored shadows on the screen because of the light behind it.

Yea pojectors have tini LCD screens in them.

Its basicly like an normal LCD but whith a MUCH stronger back light and an lens to project that on the wall.

The bubs have to emit the exsactly same amount of light in all disecions or you wod see paterns wen you show an white screen.

They also have to emit purly white light.Since the screen wod go yelowsh wen it wod suposed to be white..

Meaby if they will invent an poveruf enugh LED that cod replace the bulb.To have an much longer life span and they wod be much cheaper.

Since LEDs emit pure white light, and some have an nicely equly distributed light.

yea how stuff works is an interesting site.But the stuff is explained in only in simple for n00bs.I like an more detalilded explenation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back