Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the energy and power os signal mean in real...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolguy

Hi,

After studying so many topics in subject..
I am not aware of energy of signal and its power does mean ,what??
please tell me....

Alright, I have studied the formula of Power and Energy for a signal.....but i don't understand it in real world.
let us suppose a sin wave in this it have amplitude, freq. but if we tak about Energy and power of it what does it mean?? and how??

If we're going to discuss things like "power" and "energy", we need to agree on what they mean, wouldn't you say?

My engineering textbook provides the following explanations/definitions:

Energy:
A mass of 1 kilogram moving with a velocity of 1 meter per second possesses 1 joule of kinetic energy. An object requiring a force of 1 newton to hold it against the force of gravity (i.e., an object weighing 1 newton) receives 1 joule of potential energy when it is raised 1 meter.

Power:
Power measures the rate at which energy is transformed. The transformation of 1 joule of energy of energy in 1 second represents an average power of 1 watt. In general, instantaneous power is defined by
p = dw/dt​

So we see that energy is an instantaneous value, and power is a rate (it is time-related). Does this make sense?

Now, can you see how this relates to electrical circuits?

The energy of a sine-wave is measured by its power, which is energy transfered per unit time. The power is independent of frequency and is determined by the voltage and current of the sine-wave. The instantaneous voltage (in volts) times the instantaneous current (in amperes) gives the instantaneous power (in watts). The RMS heating power of a sine-wave averaged over one cycle is 0.5 times the peak voltage times the peak current if the current and voltage are in phase as when driving a purely resistive load.

Last edited:
Now i am able to understand power and energy of signal...
if we talk about the Fourier transform from basic application, what is the use of it as it change freq. domain to time domain vice versa..
please explain it with some real( practically) signal explanation!!

if we talk about the Fourier transform from basic application, what is the use of it as it change freq. domain to time domain vice versa

One thing the Fourier transform is very useful for is extracting the relative strength of a signal's harmonics (going from the time to the frequency domain). An audio signal, for example, when run through a spectrum analyzer, results in a display of the harmonics and their strength relative to the fundamental frequency. This is how distortion measurements (like THD%) are made.

Attachments

• F_11_8.gif
    F_11_8.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 283
  • figure-2-harmonic-distortion.jpg
    figure-2-harmonic-distortion.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 297
When the distorted sin wave is converted into freq. domain the amplitude reaches above 400 ( what that's??) and how freq is calculated of that sample signal...as F=1/t.
If we talk about the the second image, the harmonics at 60hz is called h=1, then freq. at 180 is called 3....that mean as freq. increase the harmonic no. increase.

Not sure what you're asking (you really need to learn decent English!).

Concerning harmonics, you have the general idea: the first harmonic is the fundamental (F1), the original frequency. The second harmonic is twice that, the third is three times that, etc. Notice that that illustration only showed odd harmonics (F3/5/7 ...). Probably the result of measuring a push-pull output stage, which doesn't generate any even-order harmonics (F2/4/6 ...).

Probably the result of measuring a push-pull output stage
how harmonic is relayed to push-pull stages....??

In first fig. the Sin wave of time domain is converted into freq. domain (the parameter like amplitude and freq. how they are calculated??)

how harmonic is relayed to push-pull stages....??

Because of its balanced configuration (two amplifying devices, each amplifying half of each cycle), a push-pull amplifier typically has zero (or close to zero) even-order harmonics in its output, since these tend to be cancelled by the output stage.

In first fig. the Sin wave of time domain is converted into freq. domain (the parameter like amplitude and freq. how they are calculated??)

Forget amplitude: that's not important here.

Frequency is the number of complete cycles (positive + negative) per second.

Is that what you mean? Concerning how they're calculated, well, that's a function of the Fourier tfransform. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how that works (since I don't know). Perhaps someone else can explain.

If we talk about digital filters and analog filter ( like Low pass RC filter).
IIR is digital filter, what the basic diff. both of them?? and why digital signal are not passed through analog filters.

If we talk about digital filters and analog filter ( like Low pass RC filter).
IIR is digital filter, what the basic diff. both of them?? and why digital signal are not passed through analog filters.

IIR? As in infinite impulse response? Sorry, you're going waaaaay over my head here. Someone else will have to take this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back