Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best heat transfer method

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I use the LEM, it adds the 2.5 volt to the mixer that has to be compensated for by the LM317. The Lem starts at 2.5 and adds or subtracts .0125 volts per amp, depending on which direction the current flows.
OK, I toasted another PFET today, I have not put the totems on the Pfets yet. Can you explain why I'm frying the PFETS, I don' think the current is whats killing them, I killed one with power supply and another on the vehicle, the Nfet survived, the 30 amp fuse did not. I plan to put the totems on tomorrow. If I can understand what's going on, it will probably explain what I've been doing wrong for a couple years.

Attachments

• LEM hx_sp2_e noted.pdf
    591.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 2014-03-25 POWER STEERING.asc
    16.8 KB · Views: 134
  • PS Explanation3.png
    PS Explanation3.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 163
Hmm. I couldn't get things going. I think it's because we have different pots and stuff.
I'm still confused. I think I understand the hall tells you how far you have turned the steering wheel, but something needs to tell you where the wheels are pointing.
I played with how I thought it worked, assuming FB told you where the wheels were pointing.
I suspect the fets are blowing because at some time the top and bottom fets on the same side of the H are on.
The source of the PFET goes to +14, not the drain like your asc... It will then turn on when the gate is low. The NFET will turn on when the gate is high.

Attachments

• ksasc.asc
    10.6 KB · Views: 131
  • k h.png
    k h.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 165
Try this explanation, top of steering wheel is moved to 2:00 and hall senses the torque and drives the mechanics toward 2:00 and as it gets there and the torque is relieved, the hall returns to 0 (5.2 volts center)
Pote. lib has one pot changed.
I still don't see what killing my fets, guess I'll just put the totem in and see what happens.

On my last posted .asc, there are 3 halls, you can only use one at a time, the first hall (Hall) starts at 0(5.2), goes down, back to 0, then up and back to 0, the next (Hall 2) is short duration, the third (Hall 3) has a long 0 time in the middle so current can drop to 0 before P2 goes high.

EDIT
THIS IS THE POT I USE copied from my Pote.lib
.SUBCKT pot10t 1 2 3
.param w=limit(SET,1m,9.99)
R0 1 3 {Rt*(10-w)/10}
R1 3 2 {Rt*(w)/10}
.ENDS

It seems to me, now, that I changed this because this wasn't working the way I thought it should, the following is the stock version
*.SUBCKT pot10t 1 2 3
*.param w=limit(set,1m,9.99)
*R0 1 3 {Rt*(1-0.1*w)}
*R1 3 2 {Rt*0.1*(w)}
*.ENDS

Attachments

• potentiometer_jeffrey.asy
    761 bytes · Views: 121
  • Pote.txt
    16.3 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
OK, I'm starting to get it. So FB is like something to limit the current to a safe level?

OK, I'm starting to get it. So FB is like something to limit the current to a safe level?
HOPEFULLY
Spent the morning tweeking this, the hall input goes from min to max as if turning the steering wheel from hard left to hard right.
If I am careful in my set up, putting enough dead band in the middle, do you see any problems with 2 drivers, one for P and one for N

It's interesting how the current lags so far behind the FETS, that's why in one of my sims, I had such a long time at 0, 5.2, input

Attachments

• ksascJEFF.asc
    12.5 KB · Views: 158
Hi.
So here is rev 1. I got to thinking about just plugging in a voltage where you had a regulator. Since I don't have a 7810 I used a 317, and sure enough now it needs a power safe circuit like you had in your original. So I added that. Since I think FB is some kind of current limit I stuck in a current limit circuit. It triggers at about 18 amps but is easy to change if more or less is needed. Hope this is correct. The pressure sensitive hall is a neat idea. Do you have a link?
Anyway, I hope you have a scope.
I didn't notice any current lag, but I don't have FB.

Edit
Maybe in a real early one it was because power on reset was active?
Edit 2
Notice I made the cap at the output of the regulator smaller. That's because I was to lazy to rewrite your plw to wait for por. So If you want the big cap after the regulator you might need to make por longer

Attachments

• K1.png
    K1.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 163
  • ksasc1.asc
    14.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
POR??? I looked at your drawing and I like and will use your current limit,
The lag probably comes from the motor being put in aa 136uH with a 0.0791 parallel resistance, you have been using 1 ohm parallel.
I posted the data sheet for the LEM current transducer, FB, in post 121.
My LM7810 is actually a LM7808 or LM7812 and I went into regulators.lib and changed the voltage.

Attachments

• LM7810.txt
    2 KB · Views: 182
Well it's not Power on reset, more like a delay. Should probably add a zener and make it a voltage above 9 volt circuit.
Yea, I saw the low resistance. That must be the locked rotor resistance? I'm hoping the inductance is much higher.
Yes I saw that link, just didn't know what it's use was in the circuit. I guessed it was some sort of overcurrent protection.
I was looking for a link to the hall. There are a lot of applications that could use it. The only thing similar that I have used is pressure sensitive resistors.

Oh yea, forgot to answer the link question, It's home brew, It's similar to a throttle position indicator, but instead of direct coupling, it has a bearing on an arm that is spring loaded against stop that moves up and down a shaft and returns center with no force applied. The hall part of it is similar to an electric motor scooter's hand throttle, except the throttle has ~3/4" travel and this has ~3/16, I ruined the original, rated at 3 volt and I tested it at 10 so I had to make some that worked because I couldn't get another.
So, no link, maybe I can get a photo for ya.
I spent some time and brain cells to get those numbers (.0791 & 136uH) see up loads
Question I used 60Hz for this testing (sine wave), If I try it again with a higher frequency square wave, does the math change?
here's a link to the motor **broken link removed**
It's a way earlier thread of mine.

Attachments

• Got it NOW.PNG
    Got it NOW.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Got it-I Think-3.PNG
    Got it-I Think-3.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
AM I looking for trouble by limiting my current from a PWM circuit with another PWM circuit? they both have the same triangle generator involved.

Attachments

• POST.png
    POST.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 159
Changed a few things, a bunch things

Attachments

• 2014-03-29 POWER STEERING-1130.asc
    16.6 KB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips