Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is best alternative to run cars at present ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this link interesting. With all the talk about "real world" driving and such. These MPG numbers are compiled by regular drivers, who record their "real world" milage and then the numbers are averaged. The numbers come out very close to EPA estimates. Also note that the figure for the Prius hybrid has gone up from 2001 to 2011.

:LINK

ok so best alternative to drive cars presently is hybrid vehicles, probably upto comming 100 years, but what about after that ?
will we discover teleportation by that time as proffesor Michio kaku says ?

The idea of a diesel hybrid was suggested sine time back. It is about time someone mass produces one.

Neptune technology is advancing faster each year. I would not venture to say what will happen 25 years much less 100. The internal combustion engine is still wasting a lot of energy as heat. Maybe a new ceramic can be found that reduce friction and insulate like the space shuttle tiles.

On the other hand with population growth we need to reduce the global carbon footprint.

[mod edit: Off topic. This thread is not about global warming]

Last edited by a moderator:
Internal combustion engine of ceramic lol what the heck is that !! :D
why dont we use methane , it will produce CO2 as waste gas, and i read an article about carbon footprint , it said that 40% global waming gases are released more by livestock animals.
Global oil will peak in 40 years ,right now i am 22 , at that time i would be 62 , just out of my retirement , i have reason to get worried lol . most of you folks be dead by then. :-|

why dont we use methane , it will produce CO2 as waste gas, and i read an article about carbon footprint , it said that 40% global waming gases are released more by livestock animals.

Great plan! But how are you going to get all those cows to bealch and fart into a pipe?

Global oil will peak in 40 years

Nobody really knows with any precision when global oil will peak. It could happen much sooner.

most of you folks be dead by then

But probably not out children and grandchildren.

What does everyone think has the highest energy density per pound? for whatever that answer may be would be the best choice for a mobile device. For more energy in less weight means more efficiency.
From there we need to then ask what engine or ( conversion device ) has the highest efficiency at converting the stored energy to rotational or accelerating energy. For when we have the answer to A and B we then can ask C how can we make A and B work together, for then and only then I feel we can get the answer that we need for the future of mobile propulsion.

[mod edit: Off topic. This thread is not about global warming]

What does everyone think has the highest energy density per pound? for whatever that answer may be would be the best choice for a mobile device. For more energy in less weight means more efficiency.
From there we need to then ask what engine or ( conversion device ) has the highest efficiency at converting the stored energy to rotational or accelerating energy. For when we have the answer to A and B we then can ask C how can we make A and B work together, for then and only then I feel we can get the answer that we need for the future of mobile propulsion.

Honestly there is no single best of any. As far as transportation and its related fuels go there are too many applications and variables that have far too differing sets of working conditions.

What would work best for a short range one or two person grocery getter that sees only a few tens of miles per day at most will not work in a long haul over the road rig that has to carry multiple tens of tons many hundreds of miles every day.

Just the same as a small in town paved street orientated vehicle will not work in any practical fashion on any realistic off road and rural travel application or driving conditions either. The off road capable vehicle will be able to do the paved road city work but at a loss of fuel efficiency being it was not designed to work in high levels of stop and go traffic.

This also carries over into rail applications in some aspects as well. Inner city public transport is best suited to electric drive via a dedicated electrical grid but trans continental freight hauling is not effective or practical with electric power. The distances and terrain are just too far and too extreme for the electrical infrastructures to work with not to mention the power levels that freight trains require. One average freight train can easily have three engine units putting out over 10,000 peak hp between them just for relatively flat land operating conditions alone.

Lastly with any form of electric plug and charge or power by wire vehicle of any sort there is still that problem of where does that electrical power come from. What is the fuel behind the electricity so to speak.

There is no one best fuel or one best vehicle or one best anything in this application. Whats is highly efficient and successful in its intended environment will be a complete failure or highly impractical in another.

(Scead quit arguing with idiots. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time. Its a sad but irrefutable fact!):p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back