Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jidan

what is arm I have searched on internet but still confused IS it microcontroller or microprocessor

Isn't ARM the core.... essentially a microprocessor... Compaines that make embedded microcontrollers use different ARM cores... Ie.. ARM9, Cortex etc...

I think its like Ti taking on the 8051 core and implementing oodles of preripherals..

ATMEL said:
In addition to ARM-based MCU products, Atmel offers ARM-based microprocessors (MPUs) that do not have on-board Flash memory. These MPUs include ARM Cortex®-A5-based products such as the ARM926EJ-S™-based Atmel® SAMA5D3 and AT91SAM9261 devices.

Kind of a hybrid, so to speak.

that means it may be controller or processor depend upon design

hi,
I have always considered that a Processor is as defined in a CPU, ie: the Central Processor Unit.
A Z80 is an example of a Processor [CPU]
All the Peripherals, ROM, RAM etc, being connected externally to the CPU [ Processor]

A micro controller or PIC in addition to its own internal CPU has the Memory block and the Peripherals in the same package.
A 18F2550 is an example of a micro-controller.

E

that means it may be controller or processor depend upon design
As Eric said.... All MCU's have a CPU inside.... ARM can be a standalone processor or can be contained within a MCU.

Nxp LPC2148
nxp said:
The LPC2141/42/44/46/48 microcontrollers are based on a 16-bit/32-bit ARM7TDMI-S CPU

So the answer to your question is ARM is a microprocessor...

Great Question, I use very old HP ipaq's that have ARM processors, I also use energy micro 32bit ARM microprocessor's. So I think of it as a processor core, often used with a mix of different things to turn it into a microprocessor.
Whatever it is, they sure are amazing to use! I have a energy micro 35DK dev board with a ARM32 bit processor.
Some of the demo's that came with it are gobsmacking!! it has a inbuilt energy meter so in real time while running or debugging a program you get a live readout of how much current your using, it goes down into the nA region.
Is realy cool to see some the stuff it can do, ticking along drawing less than 1mA and running at 1% of cpu.

there are many version of ARM processor but all implement on ARM architecture

what is SHARC processor in embedded system

how does SHARC processor different from ARM processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back