Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What has happened to this forum?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, I've never even heard of Estonia let alone where it is. It sounds like the sort of place you'd read about in a fantasy novel!

Brian

Jeesas... You don't know European countries? OMG! where's the education! I haven't finished high-school yet, and know 98% of the worlds countries, their names and geographical location. also most capital cities...
If you want to find Estonia then look a little south from Finland (you do know, where that is, right?)

And we speak Estonian here as a native language... [example: Tere, minu nimi on Rain = Hello, my name is Rain]

Imho nothing exotic about that... I can understand that Americans have absolutelly no knowledge about geography (70% of them don't even know their own states nor the position of Iraq or Iran) but UK! Thats just worrying... Hey even your god damn Queen was here not long ago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia

You should've watched the Eurovision songe contest, then you would know were all the European countries are and their capital cities.

I only bothered to watch the end as it's interesing to see who votes for who. It's probably rigged anyway but I'm glad we didn't win because our song was really crap, even more crap than the others. We came second last where we deserve to be, next to Ireland.

well... there are a too many non European countries there also (like Israel with their idiotic (nuke) button-pushing)... England hasn't got any points for reasonably long time now... All thanks to those 10000000 Balkan countries there... All giving points to each other (in semi finals at least, that's why we didn't get to the finals... again). But this Eurovision is getting worse every year sadly... No point watching it anymore as none of the good songs get points anyway (Hungary for example, and Finland). Like who the hell votes for song like Serbia or Ukraine...
As I tend to say more often here: JESAS! ;)

hi rain,
A picture may help to show location of Estonia.

Last edited:
Indeed there it is... I'm living on the west side of that star named Tallinn.

This makes more sense.
If I was trying to be funny and I used too much sarcasm then I am to blame.
If I thought I step up and say something but I was too I angry then I am at fault.

I read one of your comments about passing a round of beer orc .If you are in high school you shouldn't be drinking. I guess I shouldn't talk because I did a lot of that myself. I wouldn't want to be the hypocrite just passing information to you from experience. There where some harsh things said ,calling people noob and even b****h. I remember when I thought like that .I'm just glad other people didn't take any of my advice. I try to follow my own priciples now. I won't write a long post about it because I can be a little vague and you are smart enough to figure out what I'm saying. I had a lot of my ideas rejected here. I found those links looking for another board for myself. I even deleted my bookmarks,but I have the url memorized now. Maybe I 'm expecting the board to be something it is not and it is really only about socialization. I'll keep looking elsewhere.

bloody-orc said:
Jeesas... You don't know European countries? OMG! where's the education!
Yes you've got me there bloody-orc, my knowledge of capital cities or even the location of countries is vague to say the least. It might amuse you to learn that I had an A in Geography at school (A being the highest grade). Of course, Geography was more about Rivers, Erosion, Population Trends, Weather etc and that's the part of Geography I was good at ;)

I've now learned where Estonia is (thanks for the map Eric) and promise not to forget it. I did already know where Finland was; I'm a bit of an Amiga fan and Finland has quite a large Amiga following.

PS: I'm sorry but I think I've steered your thread off topic!

Brian

glad to see, that you learn ;) I'm doing my Geography exam in the beginning of June so I have to know all about it. We get that erosion and hurricanes etc. as well, but countries and geographical landmarks (mountains, rivers etc) and their names take 30% of that exam.

And there's no biggy in steering it to the OT part as it went OT from the fourth reply...

Good luck with your exams! I feel your pain, I have some exams of my own to revise for. Except it's even harder when you have to juggle it all around a full-time job.

I wish I was back at school! No bills, no worries, all you had to care about was which pretty girl you wanted to chat up next. Ahhh, those were the days.

Brian

bloody-orc said:
glad to see, that you learn ;) I'm doing my Geography exam in the beginning of June so I have to know all about it. We get that erosion and hurricanes etc. as well, but countries and geographical landmarks (mountains, rivers etc) and their names take 30% of that exam.

Like ThermalRunaway, I didn't know where Estonia was either - there's just been far too many new countries and names appear over the past few years, sat on our little island here we don't pay much attention! :p

bloody-orc said:
Jeesas... You don't know European countries? OMG! where's the education! I haven't finished high-school yet, and know 98% of the worlds countries, their names and geographical location. also most capital cities...
If you want to find Estonia then look a little south from Finland (you do know, where that is, right?)

And we speak Estonian here as a native language... [example: Tere, minu nimi on Rain = Hello, my name is Rain]

Imho nothing exotic about that... I can understand that Americans have absolutelly no knowledge about geography (70% of them don't even know their own states nor the position of Iraq or Iran) but UK! Thats just worrying... Hey even your god damn Queen was here not long ago!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia

I guess all we need to learn in the USA is how to count our money ;)

Lefty

Nigel Goodwin said:
Like ThermalRunaway, I didn't know where Estonia was either - there's just been far too many new countries and names appear over the past few years, sat on our little island here we don't pay much attention! :p
Funny thing is that I remember learning in school that Estonia, along with Lithuania and Latvia were three domains that the USA did not officially recognize as being part of the USSR.

AFAIK UK was the first to officially recognize us as an independent country ;) don't know about US though...
It seems, that russia still doesn't recognize as a independent country and still thinks they own us (last few weeks)...

Edit
Sry did some research, and it was actually Iceland ;) The United States, United Kingdom and the majority of other western democracies considered the annexation of Estonia by USSR illegal.

Last edited:
bloody-orc said:
AFAIK UK was the first to officially recognize us as an independent country ;) don't know about US though...
It seems, that russia still doesn't recognize as a independent country and still thinks they own us (last few weeks)...

Edit
Sry did some research, and it was actually Iceland ;) The United States, United Kingdom and the majority of other western democracies considered the annexation of Estonia by USSR illegal.

I have to admit, I didn't know where Estonia was either but I _have_ heard of it (if that counts!). Geography is not one of my strong subjects and I don't follow politics to the point of knowing which countries officially recognize which. Umm, it looks like it gets cold up there.

Nice to see where you're from!

I am a pro at Geo. it rly helps when you have a photographic memory!

Photographic memory doesn't exist though. Some people do have better visual mnemonics systems than others. I'm not one of em! People with so called photo graphic memories are good at storing information in long trains which only require short remembrance keys to access. But they do not truly remember the raw image of what they see for every given moment. Brain doesn't have space enough for that kind of thing.

Sceadwian said:
Photographic memory doesn't exist though. Some people do have better visual mnemonics systems than others. I'm not one of em! People with so called photo graphic memories are good at storing information in long trains which only require short remembrance keys to access. But they do not truly remember the raw image of what they see for every given moment. Brain doesn't have space enough for that kind of thing.

Hi,
Don't agree.
There are enough brain cells and interconnections within the brain, even though the cells die at a rate of millions a day, to last over 300 years.

IMO we remember all the stimulii to our senses for every event that we experience, recalling them 'on demand' is where we have difficulty.
Recall of even trivial events that happened years ago can be suddenly triggered by another trival event.

Under hypnosis, long forgotten events can be recalled in precise detail.

How can the brain decide which event should be remembered or not??
IMO it remembers all the external events, so it dosn't have to decide.

Events/memories are then recalled if they important to our well being and survival.

A person who has a 'photo-graphic' memory, just has a better recall system

Interesting discussion here, and i have to agree that some newbies want to start with too difficult projects from the beginning.

If you are new to electronics, sart with something simple like a two transistor astable multivib with two led's, some 4017 led circuits, a simple audio amp, digital counter with TTL.
Just to get the hand on some basic soldering skills and building a circuit.

A lot ask before they have tried anything simple and want to do complex circuitery as a first project.

My advise to new electronic project builders is start with some simple circuits first, or buy some kit sets avaiable from any good electronics store.
These have usually also a difficulty rating as well.

Estonia? What's the main export from that little shire? More X-rated magazines featuring Playmate wannabes?
Oh and I can assure you that geography was a very easy subject for me. Naming all 50 states, their capitol cities and major cities isn't a daunting task for me. I can also name a good many nations, their capitol cities, continents, their prominent mountain ranges and lakes. I can name the lunar oceans, prominent craters and some noteworthy features on Mars and a good many names of planetary moons in the Solar System. Now, where's my blue ribbon?

MOD EDIT
Picture removed (just downright rude)
HiTech, I assume you did better at geography than English ? (or is "capitol" another american corruption ?)

EVERYBODY - this is getting out of hand ! ... reign it in or get it LOCKED
Mechie

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back