Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What equipment will I need for testing audio production equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Graff

Hello I am new to this site. I recently started going to LW Tech for electronics technology and I have about $1200 coming my way that I can only spend on stuff related to my field of study (I don't get it if i don't spend it). I want to get into designing and making my own synthesizers eventually but I also want to be able to fix any of my audio production equipment that breaks. I also want to have anything I might need for building and testing my own Alternators. I just bought a Hantek DSO5102P so I hope that will be sufficient. I am also getting a fluke multimeter through my teacher. I was thinking maybe a 20Mz function generator (how many Mhz would I really need it to be capable of producing?) with usb capabilities like the ATTEN ATF20B and what about a spectrum analyzer or frequency counter? Thanks in advanced.

I would think the next on the list for the audio equipment would be the signal generator.
For the alternators a big old motor and variable frequency drive would be the first on my list, followed by a load box of some kind.

Do you want to measure signal distortion? If so to what level and accuracy?

You know I am not really sure It's my third week in the electronics program so I am about as as green as it gets. I probably shouldn't be spending a bunch of money on stuff I am not really familiar with but like I said if i don't spend it on materials for my field of study I don't get it. Would I need to measure signal distortion when building a synthesizer? ( from the sounds of it I am thinking definitely yes). Thanks for the reply's.

Soldering Iron, Solder, Wire, hand tools, (you should be able to take a radio apart)

I have parts cabinets with parts. You can buy a kit of (100 each of most common resistors) & ( 20 each of common capacitors) I know you can make it through school with out soldering two resistors together but......it is really nice to go home and make a small amplifier out of parts in you parts cabinets. It is too early to get ICs but some PNP and NPN transistors (2N2222A) will allow to make something.

A 20Mz function generator is good! (sign wave and square through the audio range) If you need a RF signal generator it should be a separate box. (sign wave)

That oscilloscope looks good! Did you get probes with it? Usually I get 10:1 probes but it is nice to have a 1:1 probe for small signals. (1:1 probe works with week signals but the probe is not as fast.)

Don't forget the used market for test equipment.

I was going to suggest something that could do an FFT, but you got that covered. FFT is a Fast Fourier Transform and views signal in the frequency instead of the time domain. The FFT is essentially a spectrum analyzer.

The test equipment I have always used working at professional audio equipment manufacturing companies for 15 years is the "Audio Precision" (System 1, System 2). Does anything you want and more. Some older models are available 'cheaper' at ebay.
I have an older Amber 3501 available at low price if fits your needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back