Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does symbol mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanhan

Hi,
Please help me with this question. Thanks.

strange-symbol-final-jpg.75403

Attachments

• strange symbol (final).JPG
    strange symbol (final).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 987
morning anhnha,

As the text says, its a RCA , circular mono audio Jack Socket.

E

EDIT: it would not be my choice of connector for power supply.

The image is a 0.25inch dia version

Attachments

• nys229-1-4-jack-panel-socket-mono-neutrik-12555-p.jpg
    nys229-1-4-jack-panel-socket-mono-neutrik-12555-p.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
I don't think that is an image of RCA jack..
This is RCA jack.

512282073_432.jpg

Anyway I agree that this is not good as power supply connector.

I don't think that is an image of RCA jack..
This is RCA jack.

Anyway I agree that this is not good as power supply connector.

morning T.

Yours looks like a phono audio jack.

E

I agree with MrT on this.

What we in the UK call a phono plug/jack, in the USA is referred to as an RCA plug/jack.

A poor choice for power connector but quite often seen on amateur equipment in the USA.

JimB

Yours looks like a phono audio jack.

That's what The Americans call an 'RCA jack' Eric, yours was a jack socket, not an RCA.

But as you said, it's clearly labelled on the diagram (but doesn't help if you don;'t know what it is).

I would have though more of a concern was no input capacitors on the 7805, and a whopping 1000uF on the output.

Interesting cultural (regional) differences..

To anhnha: if you are building that circuit, I would recommend using a DC-plug/connector/jack (whatever the official term is) for the power input.
DC_Jack.jpg

To anhnha: if you are building that circuit, I would recommend using a DC-plug/connector/jack (whatever the official term is) for the power input.
View attachment 75413

I myself Tend to use a "Nothing" Jack in these situations!:). I just use a Jack If I am designing a perfect and complete circuit/Project, Otherwise A pair of wires are more than enough for me!

Hello there,

What MisterT has posted in post #3 is what we here in America call an "RCA jack", but we do actually also call it a "Phono jack". We call it both here. So the thing that normally plugs into that we here can call either an "RCA plug" or a "Phono plug".

But what Eric posted in post #2 we call a "Phone jack". Note the 'e' at the end of 'Phone' not an 'o' as in 'Phono'. Of course the thing that normally plugs into that is called a "Phone plug".

So we have basically RCA=Phono here, and Phone is the different type.

But i agree a 'power connector' of some type is a better choice. The only problem we run into then is that there are so many different power connectors out there. First we have 5.5mm OD and 2.1mm ID, then we have 5.5mm OD and 2.3mm ID, then we have 5mm OD and 2.1mm ID, and the list goes on and on and on. I cant even remember all the different sizes.

Thanks everyone.
I was curious to know about the symbol and I am surprised to know it is only a Jack Socket or a connector. :D
EDIT: it would not be my choice of connector for power supply.

The image is a 0.25inch dia version
Can you tell me why it is not good? Is its diameter too small? Is it often better to use a big one?
View attachment 75413

Thanks, that connector is what I am familiar with too.
I would have though more of a concern was no input capacitors on the 7805, and a whopping 1000uF on the output.
The output capacitor with big capacitance is not good because when C is big, ESR and ESL are also big, right?
For example, if the capacitor is ideal then the big capacitance the better?

The output capacitor with big capacitance is not good because when C is big, ESR and ESL are also big, right?
For example, if the capacitor is ideal then the big capacitance the better?

Try reading the datasheet for the 7805 regulator - which explains why 'suitable' capacitors are required on input and output - bigger isn't better in all cases, and certainly not here.

Can you tell me why it is not good? Is its diameter too small? Is it often better to use a big one?
hi,

Consider that the outer ring of the 'metal' jack socket will be connected to the Common [0v] line of the powered device, often its affixed to the metal chassis.

The 'male' part of the external plug, which fits into the socket could be carrying power on the central 'tip' of the jack plug [+Vs] and it would be easy to short the tip to the metal outer casing of the socket when inserting or removing the jack plug from the socket.

Also its big and ugly, the type on the image I posted are plastic shrouded with central connection on the male part being a hole which connects to a pin on the chassis mounted part. Its almost impossible to cause a short when hot plugging in and out.

Do you follow that.?

E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back