Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do i need to know to make a good robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

I want to design my own robot.
I study Computer/Electrical engineering.

I have a wide knowledge in programming languages like C++ VC++ and VB.
I also have good knowledge in dealing computer ports, semi-conductors, electrical ciruit synthisis and embedded systems using PIC microcontrollers.

What else do i need to know about?

It's sort of hard to say. Since you already have PICs, I'd check out motor-control applications that use PWM and also read through Microchip's app notes to learn to make the most of your PIC interrupts. I pile of extra 74** and 40** series chips doesn't hurt either.

A/D conversion for your sensors is a must. Analog devices like comparitors get downplayed a lot now because those functions are often integrated into the controller itself, but its good to keep a few op-amp references on-hand. Motor control can be done using H-bridges while a Pulse Width Modulated signal controls the speed. A more compact method is to simply purchase a motor control IC. The ICs are also good for servos and stepper motors, which require specialized.

There are really too many subjects to cover in one post. Probably the best way to get started is to search for every bot project you can that has used a PIC controller. Besides our own forum here, two sites I recommend are has a good parts search feature that will give you datasheets and prices.

sonaiko said:
I want to design my own robot.
I study Computer/Electrical engineering.

I have a wide knowledge in programming languages like C++ VC++ and VB.
I also have good knowledge in dealing computer ports, semi-conductors, electrical ciruit synthisis and embedded systems using PIC microcontrollers.

What else do i need to know about?

You should be able to program a microcontroller and based on the program, the robot does various things. You also need to be able to convert a digital signal to a motor voltage. For example, if there is a logic "1" output, then the motor stays on. If there is a logic "0" output, the motor stays off.

Study Biology or entomology to be specific , I know it seems a bit odd but many of the challenges of robotics have allready been solved by mother nature.

Consider a simple insect such as an ant.

Six legged all terain locomotion , simple compound eyes, able to navigate using the sun,touch and scent trails, a single manipulator yet able to lift over ten times it's bodywieght, able to work alone or in concert with others to achieve a goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back