Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What can I do with 40+ LM2111N IC's ? (Audio IF amp IC's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

()blivion

Hello. I have over 40 LM2111N IC's. The closest thing I can find to the correct datasheet (NTE708, cross referenced) says they are IF amplifier IC's. So... what is interesting that I can do with these? How useful are they? How do I test that the cross reference is correct? Is anyone familiar with these parts at all?

Note: I would likely be willing to share or trade a bunch of these to whoever can give me a good reason to want to do that, and an address in the US.

Thanks for your time.
-()b

Maybe they still use them in other countries. LOL

Last edited:
Sell on epay.

Ditched them like a rat and a sinking ship. They changed their policy about lawsuits and they ripped me off recently. Off topic, but long story short, you only have 45 days to call BS on anything you buy from the time you press the commit button. But international sellers can specify a shipping time of up to 6 weeks. This gives you at most, 3 days to have both reasonable cause for alarm, and to be able to do anything about it. Yeah, that's complete BS and Ebay shouldn't allow such things. So I pretty much quit using them. I'll use alternatives as best as I can. Anyway. . .

Maybe they still use them in other countries. LOL

Ha Ha. Do they pay US $$$ ? :p

You can make a FM radio.

Yup, about what I figured. Hence why this thread is in the radio section of the forms. But exactly WHAT KIND of FM radio? Anyone got any typologies/schematics they would recommend? Something simple would be best.

Thanks for the assist and datasheet BTW guys.

Last edited:
Maybe one with a IF strip made of 40 stages?:eek:;)

What alternatives for ebay, BTW?

What alternatives for ebay, BTW?

*HERE* are a few good places to start if you're hunting for a new place to sell crap.

(Edit: Admittedly, ebay is far better for selling the kind of things I have here.)

Last edited:
If you can make yourself some transmitters, you could build 40 nifty transceivers. Ummm...

Perhaps use it as a bat detector, using an ultrasonic carrier frequency to detect bat chirp frequencies?

Turn them upside and glue to something nice, Call it "The dead bug" or how about a Doll house Bed somewhat cut in half and sticking out of a plaque at an angle. Glue the upside down IC's on the bed and nearby and call the resulting art "Bed bugs".

After all there is the "Dead bug" electronics construction technique.

Last edited:
Perhaps use it as a bat detector, using an ultrasonic carrier frequency to detect bat chirp frequencies?

umhummmm.... This isn't a bad idea. I think I have bats in my area.

Turn them upside and glue to something nice, Call it "The dead bug" or how about a Doll house Bed somewhat cut in half and sticking out of a plaque at an angle. Glue the upside down IC's on the bed and nearby and call the resulting art "Bed bugs".

After all there is the "Dead bug" electronics construction technique.

LOL. I think probably all of us here have stepped on a dip bare foot at least once before. Not fun. Hearing "Dead bug" reminds me of that every time.

For those who haven't had the pleasure, it doesn't work like a bed of nails. Most of the pins will happily go directly into your flesh. And if you're really lucky... they will bend AFTER they enter. Then you have to choose between pulling them out carefully. . . or quickly.

It also reminds me of a hardware store back in my home town. They glued a US quarter into the floor in a place that every one would see it, but of course no one couldn't pick it up. He He. Classic prank if you can do it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, they do from me to be sure.

If only they would make some of the more advanced SMT parts in a less pin dense package, then I would use SMT more often. Because of that, you basically MUST have a proper PCB if you want to use SMT, and I dislike that. Though if I could print circuit boards, I would be less irritated by SMT I'm sure.

Back on topic.

So it looks like the only thing these little buggers can do is radio IF crap? And really only for a very specific and particular role? alec_t had a good idea with the bat detector, any more ideas similar to that? I don't think I will ever need to make 40 bat detectors.

. . . I'm not particularly chiroptophobic and I don't know any chiropterist's.

Perhaps a position sensor? Position changes coil inductance. Inductance determines oscillator frequency. IC used to detect frequency shift.

Perhaps a position sensor? Position changes coil inductance. Inductance determines oscillator frequency. IC used to detect frequency shift.

Interesting... Are you talking about RVDT sensor electronics?

Chiropterists. Aren't they the guys who trim toe-nails? ;)
Are you talking about RVDT sensor electronics?
I wasn't.....but that would be one example where inductance varied with the position of something. I was thinking perhaps calipers or similar measuring device for small displacements. Not sure what I'd actually measure with such a gizmo, but I'm sure I'd find a use for it eventually ;)

Edit: Spose one use would be for sensing movement in a seismograph of the horizontal-pendulum type.

Last edited:
Ooh oooh, I know, sir! You could make a theramin! (or 40 theramins...)

Ok so I don't know if they actually use frequency modulation though...

Last edited:
A theramin is a great idea. Too bad I'm more analytically than anything else, or I could make one then play it. But I suck at the arts... probably. I have a musician friend though that would probably love one. He likes odd music stuff like that. Especially if it's hard to play.

So...
Bat finder x1.
Theramin x1.
Precision inductive position sensor x > 5.

Cool, only like 30 more project ideas to go :) (I really wish these things were more generic like logic gates or something.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back