Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Welcome to our new forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I designed that project but don't worry I'm not offended, I welcome comments like this.:D

It wasn't meant to offend you. I just stated my opinion about what I saw. :D

Comparing the two sites visually, this one looks neat and well laid out; it would be easy to find what you are looking for, and there is a nice balance between text and image. Also the text is in different sizes to denote levels of importance. The welcome page to silicon tronics doesn't look so well laid out.

The page is full of a lot of text, all very similar in size ~ visually uninteresting, and not the place where I feel I could find what I was looking for. Yes, you have the one image, but again, tons of text, and not legible. Make the first page more visually interesting, and you should get more joiners.

Which two sites are you comparing?

This site is good but it's just a forum which is why I don't understand why it's done so well. I could set up a forum just as good as this one but it would be crap because no one would use it.

The only thing special about this site is the people who visit it but how did it manage to attract so many members in the first place? I can't see a blank empting forum alone enticing enough members to become an active forum.

The site I'm helping to develop (Silicon Tronics) will only ever become popular if the visual design is improved, get's filled with exciting projects and is well-advertised.

I'm comparing Silicon Tronics with this site. I know this is just a forum, but visually, it looks much better on the opening page. Now that may not seem like much to you, but I think most people will open the first page of Silicon Tronics, and never go past that. There must be some way you could change it visually - different sizes and styles of type - one or two - and perhaps a graphic? One thing I would do is move the welcome message; perhaps it would work better below the schematic?

I also think you could come up with a better banner at the top? The font on it looks almost like cartoon characters. The image seems ok, but I would choose a more serious typeface.

I agree that it is the users who make up the site, and keep it going.

It will take some time too, so you should be somewhat patient.

Last edited:
My big mouth.

Which two sites are you comparing?

This site is good but it's just a forum which is why I don't understand why it's done so well. I could set up a forum just as good as this one but it would be crap because no one would use it.

The only thing special about this site is the people who visit it but how did it manage to attract so many members in the first place? I can't see a blank empting forum alone enticing enough members to become an active forum.

The site I'm helping to develop (Silicon Tronics) will only ever become popular if the visual design is improved, get's filled with exciting projects and is well-advertised.

Your right, I know you wonder why I'm even here. Lack of electronics knowledge mostly just a bother. But, I have a big mouth and have generated several people to this site. Those mainly are University Students among other people in the real world actively developing circuits and manufacturing.

So, by word of mouth this site has retention not attrition. Which will give it the longevity it needs.

I bit a hook on the web........... bringing me here. Then I saw you people actively engaged with people and bringing enlightenment for those who couldn't understand while at the same time flowering those who did.

Anyone should be able to see this site as a tool. ( A given )

It also had the look and feel of a (pay) site I belonged to. When I was alone working in a TV repair shop the owner belonged to a site. Managing it alone for a year was a worry I had to have resources.

I found a couple of People on that site who took me under their wing. I got the job I needed and we closed the store.

Lastly, If you don't think you need to build a community I think you may not have a working model.

kv :)

I'm comparing Silicon Tronics with this site. I know this is just a forum, but visually, it looks much better on the opening page. Now that may not seem like much to you, but I think most people will open the first page of Silicon Tronics, and never go past that.
The first page is mainly a shout out box, any member of the site can post in there.

Do you think it's a bad idea?

What about just taking you directly to the forum like this place?
Silicon Tronics - Index

The trouble is I don' think a blank forum will attract any newcomers.

The funny thing is we do get new members signing up everyday but none seem to post and most don't even complete their registration by responding to the confirmation email. I think that these are probably just bots.

There must be some way you could change it visually - different sizes and styles of type - one or two - and perhaps a graphic? One thing I would do is move the welcome message; perhaps it would work better below the schematic?
What do you think of Electronics Lab?
Electronics Lab - Home

Perhaps we should use it for inspiration. I know the place has had a bad reputation for broken projects, spam and an unfair moderator but they must be doing something right as it attracts new members everyday.

I also think you could come up with a better banner at the top? The font on it looks almost like cartoon characters. The image seems ok, but I would choose a more serious typeface.
What would you suggest?

I agree that it is the users who make up the site, and keep it going.

It will take some time too, so you should be somewhat patient.
I agree completely but it's starting it that's the difficult part.

Last edited:
i just checked my audui amp theory section and all of the pix are missing.... do i need to repost them?

Personally I Liked the Origional Forum Better.

And why don't you show which posts have attachments, like previously?

Last edited:
It Seems All the Old Pictures/Schematics are Gone.
Some were quite useful.
What a Shame!

I guess, it's required to completely delete all the data here one day, and move from the start again. I like this version of forum, since it saves bandwidth, and is also somewhat new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back