Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Website violates the w3c standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't there a way you can make it detect IE and redirect to a version that will work with that. Formats don't always make sense, and they are often driven by reasons that we have no interest in, but we all work with them.

I could do that yes, but it would slow down the server, and I don't mind that my website doesn't work in IE.

And BTW Microsoft deliberately doesn't support the published formats in an attempt to make websites coded for IE not work in other web browsers. Hence there are some websites, as HarveyH42 described; that only work in IE. My website is an example of Microsoft's dishonnest marketing strategies backfiring on them.

Last edited:
I could do that yes, but it would slow down the server, and I don't mind that my website doesn't work in IE.

And BTW Microsoft deliberately doesn't support the published formats in an attempt to make websites coded for IE not work in other web browsers. Hence there are some websites, as HarveyH42 described; that only work in IE. My website is an example of Microsoft's dishonnest marketing strategies backfiring on them.

And an even bigger example of how petty you can be, crippling your potential earning to a mere fraction of what it could be just because you don't like MS - the only backfiring here is on you :p

Any website which doesn't work in all modern browsers is pretty well doomed to failure.

Incidently, I specify Linux servers on all my websites, in preference to Microsoft ones, but I make sure all websites work on all browsers.

EDIT:

Quick thought, why don't you simply detect what browser the visitor is using, and display a page saying that your site isn't viewable using IE, and offering suggestions what to use instead. It's a trivial thing to do - and would make your point even better, daft as it is.

Last edited:
Quick thought, why don't you simply detect what browser the visitor is using, and display a page saying that your site isn't viewable using IE, and offering suggestions what to use instead. It's a trivial thing to do - and would make your point even better, daft as it is.

But that would simply make the website more complex and difficult to maintain, slow down the server somewhat, and IE still wouldn't be able to view my website??

But that would simply make the website more complex and difficult to maintain, slow down the server somewhat, and IE still wouldn't be able to view my website??

Not at all, it's VERY simple to do from PHP, no maintenance required, and wouldn't slow your server down at all - and by pointing out what was wrong, you've at least a slight chance a few more people might see your site.

It would also make your point far better than your existing effort.

It would also make your point far better than your existing effort.

I agree, right now people arent thinking "man I should use a web browser more willing to cooperate and not attempting to monopolize the market by shutting out superior technology" They just see a page that wont load in IE and think "This site sucks, im going elsewhere"

Not at all, it's VERY simple to do from PHP, no maintenance required, and wouldn't slow your server down at all - and by pointing out what was wrong, you've at least a slight chance a few more people might see your site.

Only one page of my site uses PHP; the contact me page, and so I would have to use PHP instead of just serving static files for all the other pages, which would slow down the website significantly.

As it is I know a faster way do do it than that using apache's rewrite engine but it would still be slower than not having it.

I agree, right now people arent thinking "man I should use a web browser more willing to cooperate and not attempting to monopolize the market by shutting out superior technology" They just see a page that wont load in IE and think "This site sucks, im going elsewhere"

LOL maybe I should make a page that looks just like IE's default "page cannot be displayed" notice except in the troubleshooting bulletpoints add "Try using a propper web browser".

Last edited:
Only one page of my site uses PHP; the contact me page, and so I would have to use PHP instead of just serving static files for all the other pages, which would slow down the website significantly.

Perhaps you should get a better server? - but speed isn't likely to be a problem anyway, most internet users can't see your site.

LOL maybe I should make a page that looks just like IE's default "page cannot be displayed" notice except in the troubleshooting bulletpoints add "Try using a propper web browser".

Similar to what I suggested.

I think its more that if your server is so slow it cannot do that simple thing, it needs to be upgraded.

That sounds a little biased, and I'm not real interested in that topic so I'll just stay here.

Edit: I didnt even notice you could delete posts before. anyway, thats why this post no longer makes sense

Last edited:
So you think I should upgrade to a faster server just so I can send an error message to IE saying "Try using a propper web browser"?

If your server is so slow it can't cope with such a simple request, you certainly need to seriously upgrade - it must be running on a 286 with only a couple of megs of RAM.

As to what I think, I think you should drop your silly crusade, and write your website correctly - it's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

There's no point in trying to argue with a Linux zealot, you'll never get him to see reason.

Not that he'll listen to me either but I'll throw in my two pence worth for the benefit of everyone else.

1y5zdzjy,
Agreed, M$IE might be a crappy browser not supporting the standards but it just happens to be the most popular browser.

You want to make money don't you?

Then just except that you need to design your site to work with IE. You can warn users of the pitfalls of using IE if you like but it's stupid to loose their business just because of M$.

Are Micro$haft really worth you loosing money?

One of the reasons why you probably don't use Winblow$ because you find it costs you too money, in extortionate licence costs, viruses, spyware and downtime as it is, without loosing more money by IE users not being able to use your site.

So at the moment the bug might be in IE, not your site but the effect is still the same: you loose money. The chances are Micro$oft aren't going to fix IE any time soon so for your own sake you should be the grown up one and amend your site so it works with IE.

Don't let Bill Gayte$ and $teve Ballmer win by making you suffer more!

EDIT:
Changed MS terms to Linux zealot lingo, i.e replacing MS with M$, Windows with Winblow$ to make easier reading for Linux zealots.

Last edited:
Who's more powerful, the W3C or Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back