Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

weaponizable projects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

philba

Hi, I've noticed a number of requests that ask for help on projects that would easily be weaponizable or directly used for a weapon. here is a recent one - https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/rf-guided-missile-control-sorry-need-some-ideas.23905/
while this may well be a student project, what kind of instructor would assign something like this? If it's not a student project then the intent is very questionable.

I don't want to stifle the free exchange of information but there are some projects we just should not help people on. Clearly there are many circuits that have such broad use that it doesn't make sense to shun - count down timers, for example. But there are others like the RF tracking project from the above link that, in my opinion, cross the line. I don't know where the line is, though.

I don't know what should be done. close the obvious threads, maybe? ask pointed questions? In this era of bombs in baby carriages, I think we should be a bit careful on what gets helped.

Yeah, agreed that there is some posability that people with ill intent, will find misguided uses for some projects on this board. I just don't see this as a terrorist training forum. That's why the terrorist are winning, nobody can be trusted, anything can be a bomb or bombed. So many things can be converted to triggering devices.

The 'missle' thread... Seems like a huge amount of work and research, not very accurate, and likely to be unreliable in any larger scale enviroment. And of course, you can get the basic operation of this an more advanced guidance systems from CNN.

If we get paranoid, then all is lost. It is necasary to be watchful, but to make such changes would be to give a victory to the terrorists. They are still going to kill and destroy, even if this site is shutdown.

Finally, this is more a hobbist forum. If the terrorist wanted to build something complex, like a guided missle, they would put some people into a university and have them learn electronics, computers and programming. Just like when they set atleast 20 people to flight school, learn to fly commercial jets, and then crash them into buildings.

dknguyen said:
Would you rather he reworded it as a follow-the-leader project?

Yeah, like attaching a small transmitter on your dogs collar, and have an RC car chase him around the yard...

There was a project in Radio-Electronics once for a car finder. Transmitter in your car, the reciever points you in the direction of the strongest signal...

Controlling a robot wirelessly from a PC...

What would really be the point of banning topics? It still comes down to how some twisted individual uses the information he finds.

Seems like a grade school could convert a cellphone to a remote detonator, but unfortunately there is no way cell phones will be banned.

well, I disagree that an rc car would be that hard to turn into a delivery vehicle. use simple rf direction finding techniques to aim the thing. tune into police or rescue or other frequencies. nearest transmitter is the target.

You mischaracterize my point. I did not say terrorist training forum. I did not say ban topics. I only suggested maybe closing a specific thread or two. This isn't paranoia. Do you really believe that no one out there is on the wrong side of this??? Do you think there is no line that can be crossed?? Cell phone remote detonator - no, I think it takes a bit more skill than an 11 year old kid has.

Yes, I believe the wording is important as it conveys intent. the use of the term "rf guided missle" isn't arbitrary, you know. Sure, it's a complex project but that's not the point here. I think people need to be careful who they help.

Well, I really don't have any interest in arguing about censorship. If this site believes certain topics should be banned, I can live with it or leave when the content is limited to flashing LEDs with PICs. I still believe banning everything that could be used to do harm, would leave a very narrow selection of topics. The information is freely availiable on the web, whether they get here or elsewhere. I've even seen construction plans for nuclear weapons on the web.

So, if a terrorist words his request mundainly, then you would have no problem helping out. So, a RF model rocket launcher with a range of a 100 yards or so would be acceptable? Would you like to see some links to circuits?

I believe that 99.999% of the users here, are not terrorist, nor have any interest in becoming terrorist or have any affiliation to terrorists. Also believe most of the information here will be used correctly.

There have been request for banning threads from students requesting help on homework. Not all are lazy, I think most are just stuck and need a little push. Theory isn't exactly the most fun or interesting reading.

So can you really expect to selectively ban

Discussions concerning;
potentially mis-used devices
student homework
course projects
Cell phone Jamming
Probably several others.

I can see immediately pulling the plug on directly illegal activities, theft of services (cable, satelite, cell phones, power, ect...), stealing copyrighted content (DVDs, CDs, software). But stuff that may or may not be intended for something horriable....

Oh yeah, forgot about that one... the police stobes thing.

Imitation of law enforcement devices. So no more stun-guns either...

HarveyH42 said:
Finally, this is more a hobbist forum. If the terrorist wanted to build something complex, like a guided missle, they would put some people into a university and have them learn electronics, computers and programming. Just like when they set atleast 20 people to flight school, learn to fly commercial jets, and then crash them into buildings.

And still end up here, on this forum asking a question about a police radio jammer.

Hero999 said:
And still end up here, on this forum asking a question about a police radio jammer.

Must have missed seeing that thread. Interfering with the police would obviously be illegal.

To a great number of people a schematic is the holy grail. If they just had that schematic they could do great and wonderful things. As most of us know the schematic is just the beginning. If you wire it up and it doesn't work, what then? If your program won't compile, what then? I get the impression that most people with grandiose ideas end up abandoning their quest a league or two short of success. I'm not worried about the occasioal troll on the forums, but I am worried about who is working for advanced degrees in science and engineering. It's not us...it's THEM! Whoever THEM happens to be this week.

The guy with flashing LEDs on his bike didn't have a uncut black beard, wasn't called Mohammad and wasn't an Arab. He also didn't blow himself up.

audioguru said:
The guy with flashing LEDs on his bike didn't have a uncut black beard, wasn't called Mohammad and wasn't an Arab. He also didn't blow himself up.

Is this the same guy looking for police siren circuit? Bicycle bomber? That would be a new, hope nobody gets any ideas...

Unfortunately, the middle eastern stereotype isn't 100% accurate, apparently anybody willing to strap on a bomb is welcome to join...

The police here recently arrested a bunch of those weird guys, all with that same uncut black beard, all with that same name, all from that area of the world, except they are all born in Canada. They were caught with tonnes of a chemical used for high power explosives and photos of major buildings and attractions.

Good deal. Does Canada have capital punishment? Personally, I think the world needs to really get tougher on this stuff. Lot of people seem to think the Gulf War is a huge mistake, but it needs to be done, for everybody's sake. Most of those countries tolerate the terrorist, because they don't want the bombings, kidnappings, and killings. Play along, get along... Iraq is so bad right now because we are there fight with them. When we pull out (guess shortly after our 2008 election), the country will revert back to the way it was, dictator and all (bloody war for dominance first). The terrist will set up their camps, long as they are left alone, they'll bomb elsewhere. It's been that way for many generations.

Every country needs to come down hard. We also need to step in and help get the job done for countries without the resources. And like Iraq, if necesary go in and do the job for them, whether they like it or not. The countries that tolerate the terrorist, in exchange for not being target are no better then the terrorists. It's a partnership that needs to be broken.

HarveyH42 said:
It's been that way for many generations.

All the more reason it will take many generations for things to get better- external help or not. Just because other countries are coming down hard won't fix things as quickly as one would like. Even with external factors it would still probably take generations.

For it to work, it has to go all the way and it's a very long way to go.

Last edited:
Back to the request for a guided missile:
When I was a kid (young teenager?) I played with gunpowder that I made. My bombs went up like missiles and my rockets blew up!

Yeah, we did stuf like that too. My brothers were more into the chemicals and explosives. My thing was electronics. But that was all before video games and cell phones, and you could get chemicals at the drugstore...
Now days, just talking about such things could get the FBI crashing through your door.

The sad thing nowadays is, that people tend to automatically assume you're a terrorist just because you're interested in exposives. I think blowing stuff up is a perfectly acceptable hobby providing you're not hurting people, animals or damaging property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back