Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water powered generator idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
500W is nothing, hydroelectricity stations generate >1GW.

Yeah, seriously. 500W is not even one horsepower. Not even close.

First of all I think the the reference to 500W turbines was meant for the fellow in case he wanted to build a working demo in in backyard, and not Hoover Dam, and secondly 500W is 0.67HP, so that's pretty close.

Guess it depends on your definition of “close”.

I wouldn’t call 67% on a high school exam “close to an A”.

It depends on the paper, I would have thought that 67% would have been closer to a B.

I guess it depends on what you consider close. ;)

Attachments

• 500W.jpg
    500W.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
I guess it depends on what you consider close.

I'm baffled we're still talking about this. The poster made it sound like it was orders of magnitude off.

Hero and Arrowhead were complaining about 500W turbines versus Gigawatt hydroelectric plants. Then comes a statement out of nowhere that 500W isn't even close to 1HP, which isn't even relevant. In any case, compared to the previous comparisons between 500W turbines and 1GW turbines, 500W is pretty close to 750W. Period.

Ouch... I hope my pants still fit after that ass chewin :)

Yeah, well, and don't you forget it!

(I'd hate to have to throw water on ya (3/4cup instead of 1/2), good buddy Mike :) )

Now that's funny right there, don't care who you are. :D

If you weigh 150 pounds and you run up 7 flights of stairs (84') in 20 seconds you have put out 1.1 hp.
You can do it!

If you weigh 150 pounds and you run up 7 flights of stairs (84') in 20 seconds you have put out 1.1 hp.
You can do it!

Was that with IPOD, cell phone, and calculator watch, or without? :p

Last edited:
Thats a top one Bill and maybe a good sign for any member to abort this bullshyte of a thread. The way this Alternate Energy energy forum is going we might aswell just name it Alternate Chat....

If the original OP ever bothered to look at the sticky there is plenty of DIY hydro projects and a few facts concerning loss's etc..

Anyway time to crack another VB asit's 'beer'o'clock' and this thread is really getting up my goat....

Didn't Al Gore get some fancy award a bit ago?

As far as the coffee, I drink tea, wonder if he mentioned how much power that has in it, gets me going for sure.

I do not think collecting RF/noise into a cap will yield any real current to work with.

I do not think collecting RF/noise into a cap will yield any real current to work with.

Think crystal radio set. :rolleyes: I used to collect a lot of stray energy to power that little high-impedance crystal earplug. :p If broadcast radio goes the way of broadcast TV, there goes my source of truly "free" entertainment. :mad:

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back