Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Cooling CPU Overheat Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxsick

Hi ALl,

I have a circuit in my computer with a thermal sensor on my cpu, and it basically has a colorful lighting effects for heat of cpu,
I want to run a 2nd program on the arduino board to control a relay once hitting X Temperature...

Basically I want to FORCEFULLY Shutdown (in case of Overheat) such as pump stop etc..

The Idea I have is to route one of these
16, PSU_ON or
8, Power Good
to a relay when relay switches ON, disconnecting that signal wire, thus shutting down.

Ignoring the possible data corruption etc...
I could design a 4 second relay to trigger a shutdown command but computer may hang on shutdown etc..
I am thinking when i'm away I want this to be automatic!

Would you think this is a Safe way to go? I wouldn't hurt the power supply by doing this?

If you want to use an Arduino I would power it using the 5V SB (Stand By) power from the existing PSU. On a 24 pin ATX form factor motherboard connector the PS_ON is held at a logic high using pull-up resistor. Pressing the front panel Start button places a logic low on the PS_ON. Removing the Low or holding the PWR Start button in for about 5 seconds will do a forced shutdown. Given some choices I would bridge the power on button using a transistor like a 2N2222 or any general purpose switching NPN transistor and have your Arduino turn on the transistor at a pre coded temperature.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back