Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanting to fix a asrock k8 combo-z motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

viau

Hi I recently gave 2 new ram sticks to my bro and he decided it would be fun to put them in the wrong direction. The result is he crammed his mobo.
I saw the motherboard and I know that the transistor is fried and needs to be replaced.
Here is a pic of which transistor died.

137-2euoaap.jpg

Do you guys know what kind of transitor is used there? PNP? NPN?

I cant see what the number is on there but maybe you guys will know?
Thanks a bunch!

How did you determine it's that transistor that died? It's not even physically possible to plug memory chips in backwards, they're keyed. If he jammed it in there physically hard enough to damage the chip then he could have damaged something else... There's little chance of repairing it, unless you can explain how you determined that transistor is bad, and even if it's a transistor. The size and location of it it's highly likely it's a linear power regulator for the memory.

Last edited:
I have concluded that this is the source of the problem because I saw it turn from black to white to green in a blink. I was with him as he was doing this and now the transistor is dark green/ black. Yes he put them backwards, don't ask me how, but he told me he didn't force them but he could see afterwards that they weren't put in entirely.

The fact is: I want to know in the case this is the only part that is faulty, what kind of transistor should I switch it with?

Thank you for your answer.

viau, you CAN'T put them backwards, it's physically impossible they do not fit unless the board or sticks are physically different.
That chip having been damaged when the problem occurred does not mean _IT_ is the fault. If you can't read or identify the chip then you're out of luck. More than likeley a short circuit was caused that the board couldn't deal with and the regulator or pass transistor fried, good chance it fried other thing with it.

You can try to find a replacement chip if you can identify the part number or find out from the maker of the board what it is, but it's delicate matter to remove and solder something like that to a high density board like a motherboard. There's very little chance of the motherboard every working again.

Last edited:
I know that you can't fit ram sticks backwards, I'm an IT. But my bro managed to do it, once again I don't know how he achieved this feat, but he did it, I was not aware this was something that could be done so that is why I let him change his RAM all by himself. Now I am regretting it.

I drew something for you because I think you wont be able to imagine how this can be achieved.
139-138-10fqgef.jpg

Ty for trying to help me.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards he forced it more than he's admitted =) You'd have to flex the vertical guide piece of plastic to get a Dimm to fit in an improperly key socket enough to cause a short, even then It hought the power connectors were towards the middle? Whatever happened it's a lesson learned in what not to do.

The other channel of RAM probably has an identical voltage regulator arrangement. I see parts that look the same (from here, anyway) next to the other sockets. Get a part number off the other "transistor" and come back.

The "transistor" is probably a 1.25V regulator or a MOSFET for the terminator supply.

That said, I agree with Sceadwian, (1) you're not likely to be able to replace the part without doing further damage, and (2) this is probably not the only broken part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back