Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey all,
I want to connect my arduino in my car. So i was looking at the lm2904 as it is designed to vehicle application.
Problem that i am having is that in the datasheet, it has a 5v output and an 8v output. So how do i go about selecting either? or is the lm2904 only for 5v or 8v and not both? anyone has any experience with these regulators?

The Arduino already has a decent 5v regulator already... Dropping from 12 - 13.6V from the cars charging system can sometime heat this reg up... I use a LM2940T-8 this gives anothe step down from the battery voltage.... Tiny PCB ( stripboard ) with a cap either side....

I know it does have a voltage regulator, but i don't want to stress it. Rather build another circuit, so if anything bad happens, that circuit will pop before the arduino. The voltage from a car is not very clean, and i would prefer to filter it and drop it, before getting to the arduino

I fit my equipment onto cranes.... New and old... sometime the voltage is as bad as it can get... I use a tiny LM2576 SMPS it survives anything ( well almost ) This is very stable and never gets hot.... Most companies, doing what we do, use the LM2940 series... LDO type.. They fair very well.

Problem that i am having is that in the datasheet, it has a 5v output and an 8v output
It is a fixed voltage regulater. It only has one output. The voltage is the last part of the part number.
You should use a part number LM2940T-8 for 8 volts.

It is a fixed voltage regulater. It only has one output. The voltage is the last part of the part number.
You should use a part number LM2940T-8 for 8 volts.

Thanks pyros :) needed to know that. Now an arduino will be running fine with 8V so im gonna choose at 8V if possible, or 7V

Alright cool. I have one of those 7808 voltage regulators here, but i read in a few places that the lm2940 is better coz it is made for vehicle application

Alright cool. I have one of those 7808 voltage regulators here, but i read in a few places that the lm2940 is better coz it is made for vehicle application

I told you that in post #4... LDO types will protect your circuitry..

Yes the LM2940-XX will have more built in protection than a LM7808. But the 7808 will still work. You can add external protection to the 7808.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back