Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL Bit widths and Generics and a counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Wood

Hi guys. Im quite new to VHDL and I'm trying to design a solution where I can avoid using INTEGERS as much as possible for signals and pin assignments.
Is there any way to determine the length of a bit vector needed from the value of a generic?

For instance if 7 is entered.. A bit width of 3 (0b111) is needed to accommodate it.
If 8 is entered, a bit width of 4 (0b1000) is needed and so on..

Something a bit like...

Code:
entity test is

generic (
                x_width  : integer := 1;
                y_width : integer := 6;
                max_count  : integer := 6
            );

port    (    clk :std_logic;       
                x  :in std_logic_vector(x_width-1  downto 0);
                y :out std_logic_vector(y_width-1 downto 0)
            );
end test;

architecture test1 of test is
signal register  :std_logic_vector(reg_width-1 downto 0);
signal count :std_logic_vector(WIDTH_FOR(max_count)-1 downto 0);          --<< THIS LINE

Is there a function or a command like this available? or I could approach using a counter in a different way?

Many Thanks, Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back