Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using License Plate Light as Power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipgiii

I have a Honda VTX1300T Motorcycle. I would like to add a bright red LED to the license plate bracket to make the bike more visible to cars coming up behind me.

Lookiing at this light: **broken link removed**

It says it draws 80 mA. I want this done right, and was wondering if it is as simple as tying into the License Plate Light for power, or is that too much draw?

This is my first post here, and hope I'm doing this correctly.

Thanks
Chip

80mA is very little. 0.08amps. I think you are save with one or two running along with the license plate light.

Thank you for doing this. I find motorcycles go so slow with little to no back lights or so fast they don't need back lights.

Ron Simpson,
Thanks for the info. I just started riding two years ago a the then age of 58, and really enjoy it. My Dad spent his entire life in the Electronics field, but I never had interest, now I do and.... Meanwhile safety is really important to me on a bike. I do understand simple physics: Cars win over Motorcyles every time. Not a speedster just a guy who enjoy relaxing rides. On a motorcycle, visibility is king - especially with all the cell talkers and texters...scary. Thanks again!
Chip

I added a headlight modulator module (periodically varies intensity in the daytime) and a brake-light blinking module (both legal in the U.S.) to my motorcycle to make me more visible. You can't be too visible on a motorcycle. ;)

I have a Honda VTX1300T Motorcycle. I would like to add a bright red LED to the license plate bracket to make the bike more visible to cars coming up behind me.

Lookiing at this light: **broken link removed**

It says it draws 80 mA. I want this done right, and was wondering if it is as simple as tying into the License Plate Light for power, or is that too much draw?

This is my first post here, and hope I'm doing this correctly.

Thanks
Chip

Hi Chip,

Yes, it should be fine. Heck, if the license plate light is not enough, a regulated power straight from the battery itself should be able to do it! The circuit's pretty simple too, any guy with a decent soldering kit can do it.

Please post the pictures if you mange to pull it off.

Cheers.

There's no law against additional taillights on a motorcycle. Those small OEM lights make it difficult to see motorcyclists in low light, foggy conditions. Cyclists sometimes wear a blinking red light on their shirt neck collars for better visibility. When I have my bike trailer attached, I don't have this worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back