Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using "Current Sharing" in server SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctore

Hi I have server power supply and I want to make controlled V/A PS, I know how to control output voltage from 0V to 17V, but I don't know how to control(limit) output amperage...
I was thinking about CS function used in redundant mode server SMPS, because my PS have this function.
But question is how to control this?
PS have some control pins, for powering on, fan tacho, some kind of communication, remote sense, current share and others.
This PS is named 7000245 or 086GNR used in 6650 dell servers.
Photo of PS:
https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/6504521100_1388602109.jpg

Thanks for help and cheers from Poland!

Yes I know how to control voltage, but thanks.
But, if there is no current control, how this PSU make control to working properly in parralel with second PSU???
On "Current Share" pin I have voltage that is higher if the load is higher, eg. 0A load=300mV on CS pin, 10A load=1,1V on CS pin, 72A load= 7,9V on CS pin etc.
And one PSU is setting to "master" and second to "slave", both CS pins are connected together, then slave PSU looking to master CS pin(CS voltage) and changing impedance(I read this on SMPS handbook) or something like this to have the same load like in master PSU.
Because we can't change load resistance, or output voltage for this, and amperage must be like in master PSU.
I'm not sure but changing impedance is on AC circuits only, not in DC....
So how these PSU's limiting output ameprage???

I know that here on this forum must be few "gods of SMPS's" so PLEASE HELP ME!

Do you know for sure the CS pin is Current Share? and how?
Current sharing is normally done with just diodes tying two supplies to the same rail. Maybe this pin just tells it to put out more voltage to overcome the diode drop.
Have seen CS stand for Current Sense and something else completely different to, but forget what. So "CS" may be confusing.
Some of the larger supplies have no current control at all except maybe a fuse or a breaker, you don't have to have current control to get them to work.

Can you find the part number of the controller chip. Then you can look it up and see if Current control is an option.

Either case if these larger supplies had any sort of current control it would be a max current or over current and would not be adjustable like you would like.

Do you know for sure the CS pin is Current Share? and how?
I know this because this is connected in both PS for parallel working in home use(DIY) and I can see voltage changing/load.
But this is mediate by "power board" in server where both PS are connected

Current sharing is normally done with just diodes tying two supplies to the same rail. Maybe this pin just tells it to put out more voltage to overcome the diode drop.
Inside PS are diodes, two in series(i'm not sure) and few in parallel depending on 12v/3v output line.

fuse or a breaker,
This is normal that this PS have fuse and power control(W exceed=shut down)

you don't have to have current control to get them to work.
I'm not sure does CS from this PS can be used by me, but these PS's have equalization to work properly in paraller/redundant by sharing this voltage.

Can you find the part number of the controller chip. Then you can look it up and see if Current control is an option.
From PS or this "power board" located in server?
But in PS are several IC, and in "power board" is one uC or something like this made only for controlling redundant PS in servers.

Short spec. of this PS:
Max output wattage: 900W
Output voltage: 12V@72A/3,3V@42A
Input voltage: 110V/220v(selectable automatically)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back