Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uploads not working (again)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
The uploading of attachments seems flakey again. It was working fine a day or two ago, but now I'm again unable to post an attachment to the 'Help with water pump' thread.

I've just tried again to upload a 24k gif. No joy :(

The re-occurrence of the problem seemed to coincide with either (a) your removal of the Christmas decorations or (b) Firefox update, if that's any clue.

It's definitely not (a) and I doubt it is (b).

The way uploads work is that they are stored in a directory unique to the user uploading them. I.E. /files/X/X/X/X/X/ZZZ.attach where the X's represent the user id and the Z's are the file's id. The initial problem was the permissions on the directories and now this is a new error which I haven't pin pointed.

Last edited:
Update: File was emailed to EM.

Thanks for your patience guys. This was one of the hardest things to debug. Problem resolved though.

For you techies out there, the issue was that when a file is uploaded the contents are hashed (md5), then looked up in the database. If there is a matching hash, instead of processing a new image it just uses the contents of the original. This was why some images worked and some didn't. So basically if the file didn't exist after the hard drive crash but the hash was in the database it would show a missing image.

Regards,
EM

Last edited:
Nice one, EM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back