Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

up/down counter circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafi2_07

hi..i'm working with the counter project now..i'd like to design up/down counter circuit with number 0-99....the circuit must have up switch and down switch...

ex: initial zero...push switch up...display '1'....and push again, displays '2' and continuous.....then whwn i push down switch....the counting should be decrease...say that i'm at 30 now..when i push it..the counting will be '29' and the process countinous....

another switch is when we push it..the 7seg will display 'FL'.....

any circuit..??plz up if you have....also up the thread/link/website with the similar project..tq

hafi2_07 said:
hi..i'm working with the counter project now..i'd like to design up/down counter circuit with number 0-99....the circuit must have up switch and down switch...
This part uses up/down decade counters.

ex: initial zero...push switch up...display '1'....and push again, displays '2' and continuous.....then whwn i push down switch....the counting should be decrease...say that i'm at 30 now..when i push it..the counting will be '29' and the process countinous....
This part would use ic's, like a 74LS47 decoder LED driver.

another switch is when we push it..the 7seg will display 'FL'.....
This is difficult, not many, decoder LED drivers will display values greater than '9'.[ eg: H E L P etc]

any circuit..??plz up if you have....also up the thread/link/website with the similar project..tq

hi,
Your project could be solved by using a small PIC controller, something like a 16F628A.

If you are able to use a PIC, let us know and we can link you to a thread.

Up/Down counter

You can also make an U/D counter using a 74LS192, a synchronous binary U/D counter. If you don't need the preset values just don't wire them. Keeping "up" input high and clocking "down" input it will count down and it will count up keeping input "down" high and clocking "up". They can easily be cascaded by using "carry" and "borrow" outputs to clock the next stage.

A 74LS47 will decode the 4bit binary outputs to seven segement common cathode displays, using a 74LS48 the sixes and nines will have tails.

Boncuk said:
You can also make an U/D counter using a 74LS192, a synchronous binary U/D counter. If you don't need the preset values just don't wire them. Keeping "up" input high and clocking "down" input it will count down and it will count up keeping input "down" high and clocking "up". They can easily be cascaded by using "carry" and "borrow" outputs to clock the next stage.

A 74LS47 will decode the 4bit binary outputs to seven segement common cathode displays, using a 74LS48 the sixes and nines will have tails.

hi,
Problem is, the OP wants some non numeric symbols displayed.
As you say, the rest is fairly easy to do.

Hafi2 . You said you only wanted to count 00 - 99 and display "FL" .
That means you only use TWO 7 segment displays. The BCD/Decadic counters will do the counting for you. Displaying of "FL" is probably most easily achieved by making your own matrix of diodes to address the required segments. Eg F would require to address segments A,F,G,E and L would require segments F,E,D . If you require more letter combinations eg LS or HC it will become much more difficult (lots of diodes) and be aware that you cannot display all characters with a 7 segment display. EG an A will be the same as an R. And a Q or T is impossible, but you probably already thought of that.
A 4510 will do the counting in BCD up/down and a 4511 will decode the the BCD to drive the segments in the display.
More experienced members can probably suggest easier ways.
Cheers
RH

ericgibbs said:
hi,
Problem is, the OP wants some non numeric symbols displayed.
As you say, the rest is fairly easy to do.

Supposedly he is not an egytian and wants the display in hyroglyphes. What about counting up to "29" as posted and then reverse the direction to count down?

Boncuk said:
Supposedly he is not an egytian and wants the display in hyroglyphes. What about counting up to "29" as posted and then reverse the direction to count down?

hi boncuk,
No problem with the decimal up/down, 00 thru 99, its the 'alpha' characters where he will need extra decoding to light the LED segments for 'FL' etc.

Why dont you post a circuit diagram for him..?:rolleyes:
For glyphes, I would use a 8 * 8 LED matrix.

ericgibbs said:
hi boncuk,

Why dont you post a circuit diagram for him..?:rolleyes:
For glyphes, I would use a 8 * 8 LED matrix.

Hi Eric,

I must admit that I didn't understand completely what was meant "using another switch". The way I understand it the extra switch has to take care of the letter indication. If it's just that there isn't a problem to post a circuit.

That one uses one common current limiting resistor. If he has more money to spend he might use separate resistors for each LED.

Last edited:
my project still not working.....i've construct the circuit using multisim....but not working...anyone else could help me..???i have little knowledge in electronix....so complicated explanation sometimes i not understand.....:)

hi
i just wana ask that,if i want to design up/down counter till 1,000....then how is it possible......then should i cascade 74LS47 ICs?....please reply as early as possible

Hafi2 07
I have a cct for you, sorry I took so long Ive been on holidays but I wanted to build it so that I would not give you a cct that did not work. It counts up and down from 00 to 99 and has a reset to 00. Tomorrow I will get on the FL part. The question is do you require to keep the count when you display FL? or do you display FL and do a reset to 00?
By the way although the cct is reasonably simple. the actual construction is quite difficult, roughly 100 -120 connections to solder depending on which way you route the connections.

Cheers RH

thanks retiredHAL.... i am require to keep the counting....and not reset to 99...thank u for replying....

for others..thanks also....i have try out foe several circuits....unfortunately they are never works....

retiredHAL...thanks foe helping me...

counter schematic
counter.PNG

Hi, Hafi2_07 here is the circuit, I tried to upload last night but my ISP had problems.
The cct is built and tested. it counts up and down from 00-99 backwards or forwards. It keeps the count or you can keep counting while FL is displayed.
It resets to 00 if you wish. I had to use 4029's as I could not get 4510's.
i used a 555ic to develop a pulse for counting as the switch was very noisy and cused extra pulse to be counted. r 555/2 and c555/1 can be altered if your switch is extra noisy. I selected these values to give a fast reliable count. If you really are counting very fast then yo can probably lower these values. C switch delay 22UF is to allow the display to blank before displaying FL.
More experienced persons will probably find more elegant ways to do some things, but this circuit works well as it is. I have built and tested it.
Enjoy, btw what will you use it for and what does FL stand for.
As I said before the cct is reasonably simple but the construction is a "*****".(About 140 solder joints)

Cheers RH

Attachments

• counter4.jpg
    counter4.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 5,328
  • counter backview.jpg
    counter backview.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 965
  • counter front.jpg
    counter front.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,139
  • flview.jpg
    flview.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
tnx for the great effort

what other ICs cn i use??

is it ok to use ne555n?74ls192? because the availability of these IC in my place is rare

thanx retiredHAL....i think u r really smart in electronics...

i'll try this circuit and then will inform u later....

thanx very much

to...retiredhal

-- can you help me on the crct of 74ls192
--my problem is to design crct 00-99 up down counter.....

dican said:
to...retiredhal

-- can you help me on the crct of 74ls192
--my problem is to design crct 00-99 up down counter.....

Dican, sorry, I have never used a 74lsxxxx IC so I would be giving you the wrong info. However, apart from the voltages there should be no problems using 74Ics as they are basically the same (I believe). The cct using 4XXX ICs works. Substitute the equivalent 74xxxx IC (look at the data sheets) and you should be able to construct the same. OR use the the cct I supplied --- it works!!

NB, I had never used an 4000 IC before this project (up/down counter) so I learned using the data sheets. It really is not so difficult and there are any number of 555 IC tutorials to help you to "debounce" the switch.(stop it from counting noise pulses) and give the wrong count. (I used this project as a learning experience for my next project) I learned a lot. Give it a go yourself.

Cheers RH

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back