1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual SMD Resistor Markings

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mikebits, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Mikebits

Mikebits Well-Known Member

I came across a SMD resistor with value markings that I have never seen before. (See image below). The Green resistor markings are new to me. So is it supposed to be 2000 with a x10 or what. I would just measure it, but it is in parallel with something that gives it a value around 1.2K
    Is there a marking standard like the EIA or something?
    Thanks

smtresistor.png

2. captainkirksdog

captainkirksdog Member

3. schmitt trigger

schmitt trigger Active Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
    A thermistor? Try heating it up to see if the resistance changes.

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Mikebits

Thanks but 200 ohm is not possible. As I had mentioned above, I measured ~1.2k, and we know resistor rule of thumb: By putting resistors in parallel you always get a smaller resistor and since I measured >1k the resistor must be > than 200.
    My curiosity got the best of me so I removed the resistor and measured it with my recently calibrated Keithly 2010 DMM. What I measured completely surprised me as I measured 2.799066k , not at all what I expected. Was the tiny sideways zeros actually an 8? Did I somehow damage the part when I removed it?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  6. Mikebits

I'm such a dope. Sure it makes sense now that I measured it out of circuit. It is just standard 4 digit marking code. The number 8 was just made goofy which threw me off. So we got 280 with a 10 time multiplier for 2800.
    Case closed