Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unipolar Stepper Motor with NJM3517

Status
Not open for further replies.

avi8or1

I'm trying to work on a project where we drive a stepper motor. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on even where to begin.

The Motor:
The motor we have has only 4 leads, which leads me to believe it's a unipolar motor? I tried to look up the part number, but there are no datasheets on the motor from the numbers on the label that I have. The wire colors are brown, yellow, orange, and (I can't remember) black?.

The Chip (NJM-3517)
EDIT: Here's a link for the datasheet:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/newjapanradio/ee04001.pdf
*VCC +5V
*INH GND
*HSM' GND
*DIR VCC (+5V)
*GND' GND
*STEP Square wave with an amplitude of 5V

I'm not sure whether or not to hook up the two sets of wires to PA1, PA2 & PB1, PB2; or PA1, LA & PB1, LB; or something completely different.

I've also tried measuring the outputs from PA1, PA2, PB1, and PB2 on an oscilloscope, but seem to get nothing. I thought maybe I had blown the chip, but I got a new chip and it did the same thing, so I think that I'm wiring it up wrong.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

-avi8or

Last edited:
You have a Bipolar motor and a chip for a unipolar motor. You need either a 6wire motor or a diferent chip.

All the rest of the information you need is in the data sheet.

Go here to get more information; Jones on Stepping Motors

You have a Bipolar motor and a chip for a unipolar motor. You need either a 6wire motor or a diferent chip.

All the rest of the information you need is in the data sheet.

Go here to get more information; Jones on Stepping Motors

How did you know that it was a bipolar motor? The handout that our professor gave us said that unifilar (unipolar) motors have 4 leads and bifilar (bipolar) have 6 or sometimes 8 leads. :confused:

But, we ended up using an MC3479 chip, which (I just looked) drives a bipolar motor. What do you know, it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back