Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Transistors, capacitor and diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumken

hi.. Goodday.. Pls am kinda finding transistors,capacitors and diodes difficult. My main problem is understanding how electrons flows in them.. Pls can i get someones support. Especially applyin them in complex circuits.

Dumken,

hi.. Goodday.. Pls am kinda finding transistors,capacitors and diodes difficult. My main problem is understanding how electrons flows in them.. Pls can i get someones support. Especially applyin them in complex circuits.

Semiconductors and capactors are rather disparate devices. Could you ask a specific question about a particular aspect of one or more of these devices?

Ratch

in capacitor, my confusion is on how the series connection of the caps to transistors are able to work but they said dc current cant flow through a capacitor.. Any clue?

Let' change the wording of your statement to "The voltage across a capacitor cannot change instantaneously" which more closely matches the definition.

[latex]I(t) = \frac{\mathrm{d}Q(t)}{\mathrm{d}t} = C\frac{\mathrm{d}V(t)}{\mathrm{d}t}[/latex]

Dumken,

in capacitor, my confusion is on how the series connection of the caps to transistors are able to work but they said dc current cant flow through a capacitor.. Any clue?

That's right, current does not exist through a capacitor. But, charge accumulates on one plate and depletes on the opposite plate. This make it appear like charge flows through the cap. The charge can only flow in one direction for a specific time, because the charge accumulation and depletion causes a counter-voltage to form, which inhibits further charge flow. When the voltage reverses, the cycle starts over again.

Ratch

alright. maybe i've got to read some textbooks.. i'll be back if i still don't understand. thank you.

Uncle Jed,

one of the best ways of understanding how various components work (and one of the oldest ways) is known as the "water analogy"

I have some questions about that method.

1) Do you get wet practicing that pedagogy?

2) Does the circuit leak?

3) Do hydraulic engineers use electrical analogs to learn their craft?

Ratch

Water-analogy is a very cool way to understand but just for starters, don't take it too seriously or you won't have any concepts of how the things actually work. What you actually asked here is how all the electronics works because these few components are the basics of all electronics. My advice, do learn about how the transistors work in detail, all of their applications and various types of transistors and what they are used for, this is probably half of all the electronics if you can understand this fully. You also need to know what the basic difference between AC and DC is and why we have these two different schemes. What is a signal and how oscillators work or a digital signal is created. It's a whole world you're diving into.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back