Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Electronics Basics #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Example 4. It looks your capacitor is set to "1k" (or, 1,000 μF). That being the case, your time RC constant is 1MΩ X 0.001F which gives an RC time constant of 1,000 seconds, or 5,000 seconds for 98% charge (or 1 hour and 13 minutes). As a result, your trace was only 5 nanovolts (5 millionths of a volt) above zero after 5 seconds. And too, it looks like a straight line because for that brief a period ( 1/1000ths of the RC constant) it should.

Sorry, I'm breaking this down into sections, cap was at 10k not 1k but I'll change it to one then try & work out values as you've put some sums to it

Unbelivable, your right, it works everytime **broken link removed** so what is 7G in time **broken link removed** this is where I start learning **broken link removed**

Last edited:
so what is 7G in time

7,000 seconds. (note the nearly complete voltage rise to 10vdc on the graph: 5 time constants).

Here's another example of multiplier short hand. K is not the only symbol for 1,000. So is G, like when discussing money, except in this case it's time.

Good job. BTW.

Last edited:
This phenomenon is extremely useful, for instance, in controlling the frequency of an oscillator (by controlling the timing of the oscillations).

so now I'm trying to relate the oscillations to this, so your saying that by delaying the charge time with a resistor, this is how your actually changing the frequency of power, I can't remember relating frequency to anything yet, am I right in thinking that we have only altered values on sim so far but this is how it is actually changed, so caps (don't laugh, I now have a picture in my head of a flat cap for non polarised & biscuit barrell for polarised, sorry, it's just the way I remember things) change the frequency as well as the ability to smooth AC to DC

Follow the instructions and note the basic characteristics of the circuit.

So I take it these are basically non polarised caps, ahhh, theres the difference:
Polarised caps can smooth power using one leg while the other is gnd
Non polarised caps alter frequency via inline energy in the circuit using both legs (what are the legs actually called before I start thinking they are capable of running marathons - so thats why this can work on DC)

It would also be very helpful to look at this site.

Thats a good site, I am going to be buried in learning but it is nice to get basic understanding, I need to split my days into time slots as this will give me the relief I need from learning

Last edited:
Learned something today: Like 10 Grand or 10 G's or $10,000

Money will never make you happy KISS, give it all to me to carry your burden for you & you'll be much happier **broken link removed**

Better get ready for work, so can caps do anything else or is that there basic uses?

Last edited:
Muttley said:
so now I'm trying to relate the oscillations to this, so your saying that by delaying the charge time with a resistor, this is how your actually changing the frequency of power

Power doesn't have a frequency although there is a term called "power line frequency" or shortened "line frequency". The power line frequency is changed by changing the RPM of the generator. It's EXPENSIVE to change from 60 Hz to 50 Hz.

"Legs" could mean leads in the context your asking. The wires that attach to a capacitor. Surface mount capacitors don't have leads, so you can call them "terminals". Some caps have screw terminals.

Last edited:
Power doesn't have a frequency although there is a term called "power line frequency" or shortened "line frequency". The power line frequency is changed by changing the RPM of the generator. It's EXPENSIVE to change from 60 Hz to 50 Hz.

ok, ok, I meant smooth the waveform **broken link removed**

"Legs" could mean leads in the context your asking. The wires that attach to a capacitor. Surface mount capacitors don't have leads, so you can call them "terminals". Some caps have screw terminals.

leads will be fine, I can relate them to bobby for soldering **broken link removed**

Mutt31 (sure it does). I was a little off in reading the Y-axis, but:
OOPs, sorry The labels Delta Y and Delta X should be reversed. It's too early.

but isn't that relating to 6.25V, not 1.25, no worries about Y & X being reveresed I'm not picky

so as long as you get the right slope, you could have loads of calculations that relate to that slope anywhere along it?

Last edited:
Pics fixed:

Delta X = 1s-0.5 s or 0.5 sec. Similarly for delta Y = 6.5-5 = 1.5 , but I goofed reading the graph. As long as you draw a right triangle, delta Y divided by delta X will be the same number, no matter how big or how small the triangle if you read the graph right. So Δy/Δx = 1.5/0.5 = 3 volts/sec

I can see what your doing now, see, I only needed a picture to relate things too, it's how I learn, guess by now your realising the only certificate I got from school was for attendance, it didn't help writing 'I don't do fiction' on my English paper when they wanted us to write a story about a desert island, working part time from 14yrs old, left school straight into full time job day after at 16.

Have you got a gas problem them?

KISS said:
PS: Went to a Smorgasbord yesterday. The place seats 2,400.

Those places do nothin' but get me in trouble with my Doc...

Last edited:
Nope, no gas.

In my research some time ago, people learn in multiple ways: visually, verbally and kinesteticly. I learn the last way which is how one rides a bike or by repetition. A BIG school problem.

If I ask for directions and don't write it down, it's hopeless.

I hate icons. One of my docs told me he could visualize the entire page of a textbook.

I can see pictures & relate things to them & remember them, I could read a book all day with no pictures & not remember a word of it half hour later......don't know why, guess we just work with what we are used to, however we do it :)

cbb:

Change the CVS to a CCS in the sim.

Muttley:
DEF: The world of electronics defines rise-time as the time it takes to go from 10% of the final value to 90% of the final value.

I can see pictures & relate things to them & remember them, I could read a book all day with no pictures & not remember a word of it half hour later......don't know why, guess we just work with what we are used to, however we do it :)

hi M,
With all this new knowledge why don't you try out some the quizzes, here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/tools/

E.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back