Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Unconnected pin" in PSpice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm trying to simulate a design that leaves one pin of a 555 timer unconnected. Other CAD programs like Eagle make this easy for you by offering a "No connect" part in the library. PSpice's? It's doesn't do crap.

So every time I try to simulate, it gives me the error: "Unconnected pin, no FLOAT property or FLOAT = e X1 pin 'TRIGGER" and leaves an annoying green marker on top of my No Connect.

So I figured, no big deal. I Googled **broken link removed** and followed the instructions exactly. It didn't fix any thing.

Two questions: why doesn't the "NC" part do what it says? And how can I simulate with a pin unconnected? And forget grounding the pin through a 1-billion ohm resistor; the method works but it seems totally inappropriate and looks tacky on paper. How do I fix this?

Which pin of a 555 do you want to leave disconnected? Pin 5 is the only one if the supply has a good bypass capacitor or regulator.
Sometimes pin 7 is not connected to anything.

I'm trying two variations of a ramp generator. The 1st one is monostable and this one claims to be astable and leave the trigger and reset pins floating. I'm not certain if it's a diagram error or not. This isn't the first time I've needed unconnected pins in PSpice, so I figure I'll get it out of the way.

A 555 doesn't work with the trigger pin open. It is the very sensitive base of a a PNP darlington that is part of a differential input and therefore it will float high if it doesn't pick up interference. The 555 does nothing when its trigger input is high.

A 555 might be falsely reset if the reset input is open since it is the base of a PNP transistor. It should connect to the positive supply if it is not being used.

But still, how do I solve the "unconnected pin" problem?

If you disconnect a pin that is supposed to be connected then I don't think PSpice will tell you what error will occur.
Which pin of the 555 are you leaving disconnected?

Pin 4. But, the 555 isn't even the point here, I'm just trying to get PSpice to allow disconnected pins. A later part of this design will use 7400 series chips where more than half the pins will be unused. Somewhere along the lines I need do know how to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back