Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

types of antenna output port

Status
Not open for further replies.

rameshrai

Hello,

For am, fm transmitter and receiver, what type of antenna port is used? for example in AM circuit schematic i see antenna part but what part do i use for antenna port in the pcb design? is BNC connector ok?

thanks

For FM in the US an F connector is used. For some parts in Europe, A PAL connector (At least that's what I've heard it called). These should be for 75 ohm coax. BNC is TYPICALLY 50 ohms, but can be had in 75 ohm Z.

You may also see screw terminals for 300 ohm balanced transmission line. I've seen one or both. There is a clothespin like device that can be used to easily disconnect twinlead. I haven't seen them in a long time.

For AM, I have seen nothing and I've seen screw terminals. One is a ground. On some sets, there is a link that can be removed to disconnect the internal antenna.

My GUESS is that an FM transmitter would have a 50 ohm output and be an N connector for high power. Can't say with 100% certainty.

FM and TV receivers use type F with RG59 75Ω cable. Transmitters typically use BNC or UHF (PL259), all with RG58 or RG8 50Ω cable.

can i assume that BNC connector for AM transmitter will work? is there any design guidelines for antenna and connectors?

thanks

can i assume that BNC connector for AM transmitter will work? is there any design guidelines for antenna and connectors?

thanks

The choice of N vs the other 50Ω RF connectors is driven by power level. N is used at 1kW and above. I have never seen a type N that mounts directly on a PCB, however.

Here is another site that mostly uses N, but one of the AM xmitters used a PL259.

You can adapt between the series and I would definately agree that power level will play an important part. For the industrial frequency of 13.56 MHz at 300 and 1000 W, I have only used N.

The N connector and RG8 cable is quite large.

Thank you all, I have been going through the advices.

Another thing I haven't understood clearly is the inductor. In my schematic there is 5000uH inductor. Now in my pcb design and simulation i am confused with which one to use? I think I cannot just use anyone and change the inductors value (eg 10uF) of one inductor found in library to 500uF?.....And the schematic also doesn't mention which inductor to use.

I look forward for advices

thanks again

As mike said, I have not been able to find pcb mounting information for N connectors. I want to use N connector as this seems to fit for AM transmitter. But how do i create the footprint, looking for datasheet for while now and haven't found one yet. This connector is widely known and I thought datasheet and footprint would be readily available but I am struggling with this component now. But KeepItSimpleStupid comment suggest there is!

so what about footprint for N connector?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back