1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

turn old UPS into a Sine Wave Inverter

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by simoin, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. justDIY

    justDIY Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,723
    Likes:
    12
    Location:
    Michigan, USA
    ok, I understand why the grape gas plasma might be bad to breath, but why is viewing the plasma bad for you ... too much shortwave UV? Isn't the glass panel (or two) going to block out most of that UV?
     
  2. Hero999

    Hero999 Banned

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    Messages:
    14,902
    Likes:
    79
    Location:
    England
    Yes, it certainly will.
     
  3. qsiguy

    qsiguy Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Messages:
    82
    Likes:
    0
    Location:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I think my old microwave out in the garage want's to come out and play.....
     
  4. dave

    Dave New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 1997
    Messages:
    -
    Likes:
    0


     
  5. Sceadwian

    Sceadwian Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2006
    Messages:
    14,047
    Likes:
    141
    Location:
    Rochester, US

    Toss a cdrom in... Pretty sparklies =)
     
  6. eblc1388

    eblc1388 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Messages:
    2,228
    Likes:
    18
    Location:
    UK
    People often don't understand how this works and conclude that its the gas the grape gives off.

    Try the same experiment, but cut the grape into two halves(not linking) and place them 1~2mm apart inside the microwave. There will be no plasma. This proves that it cannot be the gas coming off from a heated grape.
     
  7. justDIY

    justDIY Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,723
    Likes:
    12
    Location:
    Michigan, USA
    as I understood it, having the grape halved but connected, or two grapes, touching, forms a dipole antenna of roughly the correct wavelength, making the grape a 'lightning rod' of sorts for the rf energy. less than ideal grape configurations result in less energy collection, slower heating of the grape rather than instant vaporization of its juices, and therefore no plasma.

    furthermore, placing an inverted cup all by itself in the microwave, with nothing but air under it does not result in the plasma forming ... smoke particles from burning need to be present, either from a grape being vaporized or a match or whatever

    thats my analysis at least
     
  8. eblc1388

    eblc1388 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Messages:
    2,228
    Likes:
    18
    Location:
    UK
    Very close but not from the juice of the grape but its skin.

    The "tiny" skin at the junction of the connected grape forms the load of the receiving antenna and get hot. It turns into carbon and then vapourize. You'll see a dark burnt mark at where the connecting skin was.

    The "plasma" occurs the very moment when electric energy is channeled into this cloud of conducting vapour.
     
  9. justDIY

    justDIY Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,723
    Likes:
    12
    Location:
    Michigan, USA
    splitting semantical hairs here it seems, as the skin is part of the grape, so the grape is 'burning'?
     
  10. livesley

    livesley New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes:
    0
    hi there new to this forum i was looking for some help with my ups & came across this thread yes they do work well as a pure sine wive inverter ive got a 3750w ups with 48v feed if it buss then you have done something wrong? deppending on the ups they dont need any adapting ie. uve got a 240v feed in which charges your batteries 24v off the batteries which feeds which would be the back up power when your 240v feed in is cut out giving you constant 240v or 110v depending on where you r in the wold the 240v feed in will also convert to your 24v to charge your batteries.
    there is a draw back though iron core transformers take power just running them they also need cooling this is unefficant at low power great for large sergis of power & full cerpasity running unlike the off the self pure sine wave inverters which are great for tick over use.
    what im now looking into is heat sinking the iron core transformer then putting a thermastate on it also for the fan just incase its not anuf just wonderd if any 1 has done this yet?????
    for the moment im just running a 400w pure sine wave inverter for my day to day running then kick the ups in when i need more power!
    buy the way looking at your pics i think you have 24v single iron core transformer ups if its a 12v to find out the easy way put a 12v feed in on it if it doesnt work the voltege will be to low for it to work so there for it will be 24v?
     

Share This Page