Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trouble wiring a reversable multi-voltage cap start motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

polllo

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here is good with wiring electric motors, or maybe knows of a wiring diagram for this motor.
I have come across some new motors that have 7 wires. They are used for raising and lowering overhead doors.
It's a 1 HP reversable single phase motor. The label says Volts 100-120/200-240 Hz 60/50.
The capacitor says 800-960 MFD 110 VAC.
The wires are colored and numbered:
1-orange
2-white
4-yellow
6-black
7-purple
8-red
10-blue

I added a link to pictures of the motor, wiring, label and capacitor.
There is nothing on the motor about wiring.
I'm not sure what type of switch to use with them either to reverse the direction.
Does anyone have experience with these type motors?
Thanks much,
polllo

P1080327resized.jpg,

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here is good with wiring electric motors, or maybe knows of a wiring diagram for this motor.
I have come across some new motors that have 7 wires. They are used for raising and lowering overhead doors.
It's a 1 HP reversable single phase motor. The label says Volts 100-120/200-240 Hz 60/50.
The capacitor says 800-960 MFD 110 VAC.
The wires are colored and numbered:
1-orange
2-white
4-yellow
6-black
7-purple
8-red
10-blue

I added a link to pictures of the motor, wiring, label and capacitor.
There is nothing on the motor about wiring.
I'm not sure what type of switch to use with them either to reverse the direction.
Does anyone have experience with these type motors?
Thanks much,
polllo

View attachment 72960,

Hi Polllo,

As far as I know A.O.Smith company has been taken over by this firm
Code:
http://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/Motor-Doctor-Article.aspx?LangType=1033&id=781
You could try contacting them for the wiring information that you require, as that's the best way to get it right first time on these specific motors.

best regards,
Rotarymaker

Hi Polllo,

Just found this little gem of info that should help you a lot
.... see attachment pdf

cheers,
Rotarymaker

Attachments

• AO_CONNECT.PDF
    609.8 KB · Views: 4,614
Thanks Rotarymaker,
I was trying to get more pictures of the wiring itself but the site kept crashing on me. I looked over that list of diagrams, but really couldn't tell which one to use. I'll take that and the motor to a repair shop and see if they can tell. I'm not very savy yet when it comes to electric motors, but I'm hoping that changes soon. By the way, do you know what type of switch I would use on this reversable motor?
Thanks so much for the diagrams,
Glenn

Hi again Polllo (Glenn),

Just found this wiring diagram that directly relates to your motor......this wiring is marked on a similar 1/2 horse A.O.Smith motor that I seen while trolling through Ebay
see jpg attachment......

For changeover switch, all that is required is to switch around red and black wire, so a double pole double throw toggle switch would work, or relay with similar wired contacts.
If you are unsure / not confident in wiring this, it's best to leave it for an electrician or repair shop to wire for you.

best regards,
Rotarymaker

Attachments

• AO Motor connections half horse.JPG
    AO Motor connections half horse.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 5,735
Hi Glenn,

This jpg picture (see jpg attachment) perhaps clarifies the wiring ...... showing 115V wiring to left,........ and optional 230V wiring to right hand side of picture.
Again to reverse the rotation, just switch around the red and black wire as quoted before.

Apologies for multiple and perhaps confusing posts earlier, but at least we have got there in the end!

cheers,
Rotarymaker

Attachments

• AO half horse wiring.JPG
    AO half horse wiring.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 6,741
I can't thank you enough Rotarymaker. Not sure why they didn't do the same to these motors and just put the diagram on the label.
I needed some light reading in the evening, so I bought a book called Audel "Electric Motors". I need to know what I'm doing before I burn one of these out.
Figured that might help.

And no apology needed, I figured it out.
Thanks again,
Glenn

Had to wire up a motor for use on a Metal Lathe on a similar motor that had 2 wires to swap for reversing. It needed a switch that gave Fwd/Off/Rev atached circuit is how it was done.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 576
debe,
A triple ganged switch may be the same as a dpdt switch with an off position in the middle.
Thanks for the help,
Glenn

Hi, I'm back with another challenge concerning this motor. Because this is a reversible motor and two different voltages, I'm having trouble figuring out how to wire up this drum switch. I'm wiring it up to a 110V 3 wire power cord as in the picture. The motor has 7 wires. The purple wire coming out of the motor says "switch board" on it. From the wiring diagram I've included, I don't think I have to connect it to anything, so I have a wire nut on it. I'm also assuming the green ground wire from the power cord will pass thru to ground to the motor. Can anyone tell how to wire up this drum switch from the pictures I've attached? I've included a picture of the wiring diagram from the half horse motor. This is actually a one horse motor, but seems to have the same wiring.
Thanks for the help. P1070639e.jpg 7 wires from motor.JPG half horse motor specs and wiring.jpg 110V Power Cord.JPG Drum Switch left side.JPG Drum Swich right side.JPG Drum switch wiring diagram.jpg

Last edited:
I'll let you figure it out with a FEW hints.

1. Note the cross that is shown for the two wires. Remember that the name plate said to reverse the direction switch (some wires). Think of those positions as the wires go in straight or crossed (switched). "switched" meaning In#1 becomes Out #2 and In #2 becomes Out #1.

If you just wired those terminals, you would be able to run the motor CW and CCW.

2. Think of the top two terminals as a power switch. You should know what to do with that.

Make sense? You should be able to fill in the pieces.

The diagram i showed you was a drum switch. The red & black wires are the start windings, which are changed over for fwd/rev. the other windings are the run windings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back