Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trimble Lassen SK8 GPS Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingeyP

Hi.

I have one of these up and running with TSIPchat. - Took a while but I got there.

The system appears to be working ok. I can talk to it and get messages back from it.

The problem is it's miles out in it's reported GPS fix. Is there something I need to do to get the position correct?

I have attached a snap shot.

Can nayone help please.

Regards - Paul

Attachments

• snapshot.png
    snapshot.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 479
OK I'm an idiot! - There's a difference between GPS co-ordinates and LAT LONG co-ordinates. Doh!

Next step is to get all this data to a PIC convert it to RTTY and transmit it via a radiometrix module... A self positioning GPS RTTY beacon. Why?- no idea just seems like fun.

Regrads - Paul

I reckon it puts you in the north Derbyshire peak district, just south of Huddersfield. However I see you are posting from Birmingham. Hmmm!
To convert lat & lon to Northern and Eastings, you need to put these values through the Transverse Mecarter Projection which is mathematically complex. However I have the source code in C if interested. It took a 68HC11 micro running at 8MHz nearly 4 seconds to do the conversion. On a PC it won't be a problem.

**broken link removed** may help.

I used the lassen about 20 years ago and don't remember any specific issues with it.

There is no difference between GPS co-ords and Lat & Lon that will give you such a difference. You may want to look at switching off any differential GPS offset that may be causing this offset before you got it.

The Rockwell GPS Navcore V engine circa 1990 used it's own floating point IEEE standard for the maths, but after conversion, it still was spot on here in the UK.

I made my first GPS car alarm using the Navcore in the early 90's and a paging transmitter to send it's co-ords. I still have it in the loft for nostalgia reasons and to remind me I could have beat Tom Tom...but didn't as I am crap at marketing.

Hi.

I realised that the Lassen is sending co-ords in GPS format. When you do the conversion it does place it absolutely spot on to the antenna in my back garden. I wont bother converting in the pic as i'll just cut & paste the coordinates into a PC conversion before overlaying in google maps.

I have the prototype up and running now. I have just spent tonight doing the PCB print ready to etch the weekend.

Prototype video is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpUeo6ZFPFk

Regards - Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back