Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tricky resistor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorbzz

Hi guys I am trying to repair a Denon avr 1804 reciever and the main problem first was the 7815 and 7915 voltage regs.
I replaced them first and then found some .22 ohm 1 watt fuse resistors were open, replaced them with the only ones I had which were 1 ohm 1/4 watt items, measured the output voltages from the regs and they were perfect but then dropped to nothing again.

Upon further inspection the 1/4 watt 1 ohm resistor on the 7815 feed side had opened again.
Do you reckon I really need some 1 watt resistors to continue diagnosis or should the 1/4 watt ones work ok, and do I really need exactly .22 ohm values.
Thanks heaps for any replies.

Your 1 Ω, 1/4 W resistors will only allow 0.5 A before they exceed their power rating. The fuse resistors will take somewhere around 2 A before they exceed their power rating.
I would suggest checking how much current each regulator is taking. It sounds like some fault has caused them to take too much current.

I have no idea if that fault is still present.

Until you identify what is drawing excess current you will keep on frying regulators/fuses unless you limit the current in some way. Perhaps 100Ω or so, or a car light bulb, in series with the reg output?

Ok thanks I never thought of that I just thought the 1/4 watt resistors were failing because of the 1 watt requirements but to think about it they must have had a high current draw in the first place to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back