Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer for 555 taser gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite where the thread is going, i would like to ask the same question again...
the electric sales guy is asking me the voltage rating for the transformer.. he says that 1k:8R is nothing but greek and latin to him...
can anyone help me with the I/P-O/P voltage of the transformer?

Despite where the thread is going, i would like to ask the same question again...
the electric sales guy is asking me the voltage rating for the transformer.. he says that 1k:8R is nothing but greek and latin to him...
can anyone help me with the I/P-O/P voltage of the transformer?

It's an audio transformer--1k/8R means an impedance of 1kΩ on one side and 8Ω on the other. If he doesn't know that, he probably shouldn't be selling electronics ;)

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help you. I won't. An audio transformer is not designed for high voltage, and you should never use a transformer beyond the specs its designed for.

A 1k/8R output transformer was used in a radio made in 1955. It might not be available today.

Attachments

• Philips transistor amp-1955.PNG
    Philips transistor amp-1955.PNG
    186.7 KB · Views: 361
A 1k/8R output transformer was used in a radio made in 1955. It might not be available today.

Last I checked it's still a popular transformer. I've seen many of them on electronics part sites and at stores like RadioShack.

I think old vacuum tube amplifiers used a power 1k:8r audio transformer if you can find one. It works the same but is bigger and heavier.
Power supply transformers are designed for only 50Hz or 60Hz and probably will not work at the high frequency of this project.

If you have any questions about vacuum tube amps, Jon_Wilder is the one to ask.

I agree with AG--chances are the power transformers won't work very well at higher frequencies. You'll have to drop it down to find the maximum output.

Search for a Part Number, 42TL013. it is a Common Part and is 1000 to 8 Ohms.
Search Here: **broken link removed**
You will find Mouser Sell it.

But Also Consider that if this Circuit Could Produce 20,000 Volts, I Think the small series string of 400 Volt Capacitors would Fail INSTANTLY.

I once built a circuit to do exactly this - it had a multivibrator type circuit that someone designed for me to directly drive the transformer, not a 555, and a cockcroft-walton voltage multiplier connected to the output of that. I used a small transistor audio transformer of the sort shown in the circuit. Can't remember any details (it was long ago, far away, and I was young and interested in making high voltages). It worked perfectly and nothing went wrong with it. Don't know what voltage it produced, but it was KV's.

Search for a Part Number, 42TL013. it is a Common Part and is 1000 to 8 Ohms.
Search Here: **broken link removed**
You will find Mouser Sell it.

But Also Consider that if this Circuit Could Produce 20,000 Volts, I Think the small series string of 400 Volt Capacitors would Fail INSTANTLY.

But there is NOT 20000V across any one capacitor

I saw a youtube video using this circuit from 555-timer and saw a same blue and small audio transformer in our local shops with 1k ohms primary impedance and 8 ohms secondary impedance. But my problem is, does it matter if it is an audio INPUT transformer rather than a audio OUTPUT transformer? Is it okay to use this audio INPUT transformer? What's available is the audio INPUT transformer. I've read the entire thread and know from you guys that whats important is the turn ratio of the audio transformer, the higher the difference the higher the voltage it outputs to the voltage doubler. I wish you could enlighten me with this as I am still a student :D

does the audio transformer need to be an output one? We found the same color, same size, same everything audio transformer with 1k ohm primary impedance and 8 ohm secondary impedance but it is a Audio INPUT transformer. Does it matter? or does the turn ratio is the only variable that is important?

Since your shopkeeper knows nothing about electronics, he wrongly calls the audio output transformer an input transformer. Maybe the transformer manufacturer also knows nothing about electronics?

A loudspeaker is 8 ohms and was used at the output of an amplifier. A microphone is either 600 ohms or a few k ohms and was used at the input of an amplifier.
Transformers were used in amplifiers 50 or 60 years ago. Here is the schematic of a transistor amplifier made 59 years ago with an output transformer that drives a 7.5 ohm or a 5 ohm loudspeaker:

Attachments

• Philips transistor amp-1955.PNG
    Philips transistor amp-1955.PNG
    186.7 KB · Views: 258
That 42TL013 is an Audio OUTPUT Transformer.

I Don't know if your Shop keeper was telling you the Wrong Info, But yes there CAN be a Difference between an Input and Output Transformer.
Even if the Sizeand Impedance is the same, There can be WIRE SIZE Differences.
And that results in Power Capability Differences.

And that 42TL013, Output transformer is still available.
But that circuit is Not worth building.

I love old threads like these. Brings a little Character back to discussions :)

Regards,
tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back