Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Too Much Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

Hi all. Currently I'm working on making a digital tachometer. I have most of the code working off of a synthesized "tach signal". I'm designing a comparator input circuit that will translate any tach signal into a 5V square wave equivalent.

I'm doing all of this on a 18F46K22, but I'm thinking that it's way overkill of a processor for this application and may go with something a bit smaller. Clearly this application doesn't need a 40-pin processor...can probably get away with an 18-pin device easily. I'll need at least 7 pins for the LCD display, one of them with PWM available for LCD contrast, and 1 for the tach signal input.

In terms of available on-chip hardware, at what point do you consider a processor to be too much processor for the application?

Pretty well anything in your case, as it's a VERY low-spec requirement :D

Personally, I've 'recently' moved from the 14 bit 16F628/877 etc. to the enhanced 14 bit series, the 16F1827/1847 etc.

The enhanced parts have a lot of useful enhancements (the multi-frequency internal oscillator is one of them), and are also considerably cheaper.

I've played briefly with the 18F series, but they seem a bit 'over complicated' and of course are more expensive.

Yes I moved from the 16F to the 18F series parts, but have yet to try the enhanced 16F parts. They seem like a "middle ground" between the 16F and 18F. Perhaps I'll have to order a couple and play with them a bit.

If you program mainly in C I would stick to the 18 series. This might be something to look at. **broken link removed**

Yes I moved from the 16F to the 18F series parts, but have yet to try the enhanced 16F parts. They seem like a "middle ground" between the 16F and 18F. Perhaps I'll have to order a couple and play with them a bit.

Enchanced 16F have lots of advanced features, such as shadow registers, and are somewhat better than older 18F, especially when considering price.

Hello,
Tachometer can be made with 1 min timer capture counting using encoder or some sort IR beam on white/black surface.

Jon, been looking into sw lcd contrast for a project , does the contrast pin not need a steady voltage , how are you doing that please ?

It's done all the time that way, not that I've ever done it - but sticking a resistor and capacitor on the pin should smooth it out, I don't think it draws much current?.

Have you tried google? (I just did):

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back