1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Toner Transfer Papers

Discussion in 'Circuit Simulation & PCB Design' started by mvs sarma, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Mosaic

Mosaic Well-Known Member

usually, the motors are synchronous, slowing them down via triac chopping heats them up and makes them stutter.
    Slowing them down via gearing is an option if u can find gears to work.
    Increasing their heat is an option for metal geared units else the gears melt and distort.

Since most laminators have a reverse option to remove jams built in, I exploited that with the mod. to have a PCB laminator or a regular laminator function at the touch of a button.

2. camerart

camerart Active Member

Hi,
    We appeared to have hijacked this thread about paper. Apologies. I'll start a new thread [Toner transfer hardware options]
    Camerart.

3. mvs sarma

mvs sarma Well-Known Member

No issues. All of us could be happy using the procedures.
    I recently bought a roll of film negative photo-resist . i don't have the laminator and thus I would like to do it manually with temperature controlled electric iron manually .

I haven't tried yet. i was looking for others who did. As far as toner transfer using ebay papers and HP laserjet P1007,
    My observations with ground plane have been on rough side. registration on the copper clad and pitholes etc. Can any one comment on this.
    Thanks In advance.
    regards
    sarma
    vu3zmv

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Mosaic

Mosaic Well-Known Member

I use craft foil transfer (after the toner transfer) to eliminate the ground plane fills/pours pitting. Silver sharpie marker for manual resist touchups as well.

6. camerart

camerart Active Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. camerart

camerart Active Member

Hi M,
    Why is it necessary to use foil after toner transfer?
    C

8. Mosaic

Mosaic Well-Known Member

The foiling can be used for silk screen colors and professional appearance PCB labelling.
    It is also used to negate the effects of pitting caused by poor toner coverage in filled areas like ground planes as happens when your toner is getting low or you are using a non OEM Toner cartridge where the roller actaully has a micro grid pattern (reduces toner usage) rather than being smooth.
    It isn't necessary for traces up to 24 mils or so, only thicker ones.

If you're making RF grade PCBs it is essential to maintain minimal pitting in all traces or you can get poor impedance results.

9. throbscottle

throbscottle Well-Known Member

I've always had ground planes with voids, not related to non-oem cartridges either. I believe it's a common problem. I always went over the large areas with a permanent marker, then touched up any other defects with an ohp pen.

10. camerart

camerart Active Member

Hi M,
    I'm new to toner transfer.
    I only make small projects, so I will always buy OEM toner.
    Thanks.
    C.

11. camerart

camerart Active Member

Hi T,
    I wonder if the voids are a laminater technique problem. I'm testing a plate pressed sandwich technique, I'll try some large area tests. [If I forget please remind me]
    C

12. throbscottle

throbscottle Well-Known Member

I think they are an area that needs extra attention no matter what technique you use. Negative photo has same potential issue with large copper-free areas (in the form of copper spots)